eghambee

Winter, wind and the mesh floor

Hi all,

Well, the first few months as a new beekeeper seem to have gone well, and the last few weeks of feeding seem to have enabled the bees to build up lots of supplies - about 7 frames have stores.

So, I'm thinking about final preparations for the winter.

I live in a fairly exposed area, and while the Beehaus is behind a hedge, that won't offer too much protection when the leaves have all gone. So, I'm a bit worried about the mesh floor - probably unnecessarily.

The instruction book/guide makes vague mention of putting a board inside but, equally, ventilation must still be important - I'm just worried that without some restriction there'll be rather too much ventilation.

Would appreciate some advice from others.

Thanks

My understanding is that damp is the worst enemy rather than cold. My bees survived last winter - admittedly in a fairly sheltered position - with a mesh floor on, they are in a National rather than a Beehaus. I know opinions vary on this (when don't they! :lol: ) but with the insulating properties of the Beehaus I'd have thought it would be ok without anything under the mesh.

I'm not sure if anyone posting on here has overwintered in a Beehaus yet, but if they have no doubt they will let you have their thoughts.

Like Olly's my boxes are Nationals.

I think the idea is to have the crown board warmer than the walls so that condensation gathers on the walls not the top where it would drip on the cluster. Hence insulating the roof well and leaving the floor open for ventilation. But in a Beehaus? That's pretty well insulated all round isn't it so bottom ventilation would help with dissipating condensation.

I have empty supers under my floor to help baffle against wind but I'm leaving the floors open. Perhaps some sort of wrap around baffle can be Heath Robinsoned if you're really worried. Somebody with a Beehaus will be along soon, I'm sure.

Dartingtons have been in use for years. I have never had any trouble over-wintering them. Remember that nine full frames of stores is far more than you would likely get in a standard National brood box. More like a brood and a half without the problem of any space between the two tiers (of the brood and a half).

I will not be getting the expected colony into the beehaus for overwintering, as my season came to an abrupt end late in September. That was the plan but I will not be able to compare the beehaus with the Dartingtons for another season.

The Dartingtons are nicely sealed at the tops and sides of the winter frames and with insulation over the coverboards, so I am expecting they will be perfectly fine for the winter.

One hive has the facility to reduce the mesh floor ventilation with a board (on runners below) and the other may get that addition later in the winter if needed. Both will be externally insulated around the wintering area as per last year and I expect they will be the early starters, as usual, in spring. I may also add extra insulation behind the frames, if I get the opportunity.

14 x 12s (jumbo Nationals) are very similar and all but one of my full colonies will be over-wintered on the brood box and an OMF, so are very similar to the Dartingtons but without the extra separation from the elements. Some may be a frame, or two, light of a full box, but they should be able to manage the winter OK.

Regards, RAB