Chicken deficient Posted October 17, 2010 Share Posted October 17, 2010 Do I need to clip my new Wyandotte bantams' wings before I let them free range in the garden? My Pekins are fine loose in there, but the Wyandottes look more bird-like! ...sorry, still no photos, but they're coming... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 17, 2010 Share Posted October 17, 2010 I haven't clipped mine. They fly across the garden but only a foot or so off the ground when they are being daft. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jam Posted October 18, 2010 Share Posted October 18, 2010 Depends if theres anything nice to fly up onto! I have a big arc that my pekin flies onto the top with ease, and its about 2 metres high!! I guess it wouldnt do any harm if you did clip them, just to be on the safe side. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
yogiwoods Posted October 18, 2010 Share Posted October 18, 2010 My gold laced wyandotte bantam, Gloria, doesn't so much as flap her wings! Compared to the Sussex girls she is such a buxom lady, I doubt that she could get off the ground even if she tried. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 I guess as bantams are smaller and lighter than 'regular' chooks they could potentially get further/higher? wingclipping might be a good idea. (I say this as one who had a naughty white legbar who spent several nights up a tree before we could get hold of her to wingclip!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken deficient Posted October 19, 2010 Author Share Posted October 19, 2010 Thank you all. Weather permitting, I think I'll let them out tomorrow and see what happens... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 I have a bantam who has proved on more than one occasion that she can fly straight up to a height of 8 feet and then go off in a horizontal direction of her choice, when startled or in danger. Should've called her Harriet (jump jet) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken deficient Posted October 20, 2010 Author Share Posted October 20, 2010 Thank you all for your help. I let them out for the first time today and... ...they only went a foot outside the run door and then decided to go back in again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 20, 2010 Share Posted October 20, 2010 Think we need pics of your brave bantams. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken deficient Posted October 21, 2010 Author Share Posted October 21, 2010 Day two of free ranging: Edna tried to fly onto the top of the run, with much flapping and no success. They both then pooed on the patio and decided that was more than enough excitement for one day and went back in. I know, photos... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...