bridge

newby questions

Hi there,

i was hoping to start Bee Keeping this autumn but the course I was going on was cancelled due to cold weather and snow and they could not guarantee a visit to the hives. My next chance of the course is April so I'm going to see if I can get started soon after the course and perhaps have the hive and bees ordered before the course. Can anyone tell me when can one start a new hive - at any time or would you now have to wait until the spring? Its cold up north in Scotland so would that mean April? May?

Many thanks

To a lot 'up north' might mean Lincolnshire and any wher more northerly, so Scotland is up north. Now do you mean south Scotland or North Scotland? Quite a difference in the weather and also likely a wide variatin from east to the west coast.

That said, you can start beekeeping whenever you want - even the middle of winter! However late in the season or in winter, bees are a bigger risk than keeping your cash in your pocket. Colonies can die - you are less likely to get mugged and lose your money!

So I would suggest you ask your local BKA for advice on when to order a nuc, if that is the way you intend starting, or enquire if any hives are available from people giving up beekeeping. Local knowledge is the better bet, unless there is anyone from your particular locale, here, on the forum.

Regards, RAB

Plus point. Looong daylight hours in the summer! We get as far as Drumnadrochit when visiting, so fairly northerly - apart from the maritime bits. We don't see many bees up there, but we do go up the hills a bit. Plenty of wasps though!

Regards, RAB