susan l

what to use??

I have finally got round to buying all the gear needed to build a lovely new run for the girlies (and shamelessly nicked several ideas from other omletarians, so thanks in advance for all the inspiration found on other threads :wink: ) Part of this will include installing a lovely big dustbath for them but so far they have made their own by scratching about, so I don't know what to put in the purpose built one! Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

The only other thing I need to work on is persuading OH that a nice big run means we can have a couple more chooks and once THAT is done, which kind to get!!??? :think:

I can't get that link to work (think there is a problem with my computer, have been having trouble with lots of links lately) so haven't checked what a tub trug is, but I have bought a massive litter tray which I was going to edge with wood to keep it in place but still be able to change the dust and add louse powder etc.

What dust to use though? Is it sand or grit? What is dust made of???

Hello Susan and Emma :D

We are in the midst of sorting out our back garden and we too want to build a purpose built run to keep the chooks in - and hopefully save any new plants/veggies from a certain death!

I love the tubs Emma. Which size is the best for my two girls to both get in? I should think they will use it, as they are fans of the pots dotted around the garden, which are now empty :roll:

Do you think it would be a good idea to bury the tub a little to make it more accessable (sp?)

EDIT - I've just found the shallow tubs Emma. I presume this is the one you used?

I did all my research and made sure the girls had a nice litter tray of topsoil/ash/sandy soil/mite powder.

Hilda ate some of it and Maude wandered off to the other side of the run and scratched out her own - well that's told me! :P

What with my dust bath gathering even more dust in the corner I decided to take it out and save it for when the grounds too wet for them to make their own :roll:

What with my dust bath gathering even more dust in the corner I decided to take it out and save it for when the grounds too wet for them to make their own :roll:

That's a really good idea Minky. They'll bne glad of that in the wet winter months. :D

Typical. Typical. Typical. :roll:

Oh well, I shall leave them to their own devices and see what they come up with! If they look lik ethey need a dust bath I have one at hand and some idea of what to put in it, so thanks for the ideas anyway!