HENthusiastic Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Hi. I wonder if anybody can help me. I've got a chicken who has swollen legs, from about the 'knees' downwards on both legs. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. She runs and walks and perches as usual. The best way to describe it, is that she looks like when old people have really bad water retention in their legs and they swell up really badly. Ive looked at bumble foot, and it doesn't look like that. Id appreciate any thoughts. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steve the Gas Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Google images of scaly leg mite - might not be tho,,,,,,,,,,,,, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Is the swelling firm or does it appear fluid filled or puffy? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HENthusiastic Posted November 16, 2010 Author Share Posted November 16, 2010 Howdy. its definitely not scaley leg mite, One of my girls has had that before so I know its not that. The swelling just seems like big fat legs really. SO not really firm, but not really puffy, just like my legs feel really! Is that any help Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 Could be something going on in abdomen that's pressing on veins preventing drainage from legs I'd check for any inflamation maybe. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 Could you post a picture? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HENthusiastic Posted November 18, 2010 Author Share Posted November 18, 2010 Hi. Ive tried to take some piccis. Not very good ones, but I'll get them on asap. One leg is now really, really swollen like an elephant. I'm also not sure that her little face doens't look swollen too. My partner looked at her yesterday and said that she looked swollen all over to her!!! Eak! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 18, 2010 Share Posted November 18, 2010 Could be kidney problem then Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HENthusiastic Posted November 18, 2010 Author Share Posted November 18, 2010 Oh no! Poor Rhodie. anything I can do? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 18, 2010 Share Posted November 18, 2010 Hen I've no idea what it is, I'll ask some experienced chicken people what the problem could be on Saturday at Stoneleigh and look in the books on sale. Do you do vet? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HENthusiastic Posted November 18, 2010 Author Share Posted November 18, 2010 Thanks Plum. I'm afraid I really can't do vet any more. Having quite a sizable flock these days its just not practical. I have to rely on what I can do myself. The strange thing is that she seems completely happy and comfortable. That is the good news but she clearly isn't right. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 18, 2010 Share Posted November 18, 2010 Hi HEN, sorry to have missed this - is her abdomen swollen? Is it hard and tight or full of fluid? It sounds like a leukosis to me, which can also cause a swollen abdomen. This shows as a condition called avian osteopetrosis which causes a thickening of the long bones in their legs. One of mine had it a few years back - no remedy I'm afraid; I had to cull her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 21, 2010 Share Posted November 21, 2010 Hi HEN, broke my glasses at Nat yesterday so couldn't read any of the books for you. Asked a couple of blokes in white jackets (they could have been there to take Laurie and Mostin away). One said neck her, the other said chop her head off but neither had a clue what it was Anyway looked in my books at home and there's a picture of swollen legs 'thick leg disease' caused by leucosis. Rather than copy it out for you it more or less says the same on this link - http://www.countrysmallholding.com/features-vet's-forum-avian-leukemia--212572 Not good news but also looks as though its not bad news either for the rest of the flock. xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted November 21, 2010 Share Posted November 21, 2010 Hi HEN, broke my glasses at Nat yesterday so couldn't read any of the books for you. Asked a couple of blokes in white jackets (they could have been there to take Laurie and Mostin away). Oi! do hope your chook problem is 'resolved' quickly. I reckoned that this is the same disease that i lost Anya to: remember she kept straining as if to lay? I think it was a tumour in the egg laying tackle. She was PTS before things got too advanced. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HENthusiastic Posted November 22, 2010 Author Share Posted November 22, 2010 Thanks for all your input guys. Sorry bowt your glasses Plum, and thanks for asking the white coats. I've added a picci. One leg is now very swollen. And her comb is very dry. I think it must be some kind of organ thing. For the moment, she seems very happy though, so her neck is safe for the time being. As soon as she looks like she is suffering, I will do the deed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 One leg then. Reading about osteopetrosis it would affect both legs. May be worth checking again for bumblefoot, break or arthritis. You could try her on anti-inflamatory and see whether she responds. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...