Stella14 Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Anyone coming across my thread on the Chickens section will know I have just got my first chickens I was just wondering, when an egg is laid, should I wash it before breaking it to cook? See I said it was probably a daft question! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 There is no such thing as a daft question on here! I may be wrong but I generally don't bother washing my eggs. If I haven't got to cleaning out the nest box before any eggs are laid then they may be a bit pooey and then I will give them a wipe. Others may do differently so I will pop back and have a look what others say! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky1 Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 We're the same as Jlo The only silly question is the unaqsked one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
megalin Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Indeed no silly questions, you only get clued up by asking them and there's sooooo much to know with chooks.... Apparently they have a protective layer on the shell which keeps them fresh and protected inside so it is best not to wash it off. However like Jlo says, if they're pooey then give them a wipe off. If you're particularly bothered about it or they're really mucky then you can get special egg wash! Good luck with the ladies and keep asking questions! Megalin Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I don't wash my eggs even if they are a bit mucky, I think but someone may correct me that if you wash them it makes the shell more porous and can lets bugs in as you wash the protective layer off with the poo If they are very mucky I give a quick wash and wipe just before I use them. Not a silly question at all, I had lots of questions when we first got our chickens. Ask away, someone always knows the answer. Good luck with your chickens, have you had any eggs yet? Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stella14 Posted November 15, 2010 Author Share Posted November 15, 2010 Thanks, that's as I suspected so I won't wash them No eggs yet purplemaniac. We only brought them home yesterday. They are settling in nicely, though I don't like watching the one at the bottom of the pecking order worrying and keeping out of the way. She is good at keeping out of the top hen's way though, so no harm being done. She just looks so sad (note to self 'must not anthropomorphasize') Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 I am with purplemaniac on this one - the way they come out of the cube is the way they stay til they get used or given away! (and not a silly question - I got an eggskelter about a month ago, and it has taken me this long to work out that you can actually stand the eggs in it pointy side down.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted November 17, 2010 Share Posted November 17, 2010 I got an eggskelter about a month ago, and it has taken me this long to work out that you can actually stand the eggs in it pointy side down.... I love my eggskelter, so much so I have two Pointy end goes towards the centre of the skelter and then they gently roll as you remove the bottom one. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...