StephenW

Open mesh floor

In my opinion yes. I think it's generally recognised that hives remain healthier with an open mesh floor. It is an essential part of Varroa management and hive ventilation. With it should come a removable tray so that you can monitor mites dropping out of the hive either from natural reasons or from treatment. You can close the floor if needed, ie for regular monitoring, during thymol treatment, in seriously cold weather or if you want to protect a weak colony.

I'm sure there are other reasons and I'm sure somebody more experienced will come along to tell you.

Oxalic acid crystals

Oxalic acid is a chemical. Most pure chemicals don't change (think table salt here?) - apart from some organics, as in biological complexity - unless there is an energy transfer involved (eg photographic plates use silver halides which are changed by electromagnetic wave energy).

'Use by' and best 'befoere' dates, wrt oxalic acid is more important when it is mixed with other things as there are slow changes within oxalic/sugar solutions over time and these small changes can be toxic to bees.

Sooo, one needs to look at the relevance of exceeding the date and a bit of common sense needs to be applied. If something has a shelf life of, say, one week and it is out of date by one week, that is by a huge margin; if on the other hand the shelf life is in excess of two years, one week is really neither here nor there, provided the storage conditions have not been adverse.

Oxalic acid crystals, stored under ideal conditions, lasts decades, even before going off a tiny amount. It is used as a laboratory standard for ascertaining the strength of potassium permanganate solutions in volumetric analysis, per eg.

All need to be assessed individually as there is no magical answer as a generalisation.

Regards, RAB