Guest rory147

?prolapse

I noticed that my Cukoo Maran pullet (aged 30 weeks) may have laid a shellless egg 4 days ago and today I observed something protruding from her back end. I brought her indoors to warm her up and within 4 hours she laid her 1st chestnut brown egg. She is eating, drinking and eliminating wate. However, a foreign body remains hanging from her back end. Can anyone shed some light on this condition? Thanks.

Does it look like an everted length of her laying tackle?

Some advice **here**

In the first instance I'd bring her in and clean the area up, and if it isn't too swollen, gently push it back in place, and hold it there for a while. She will try to push it out again, so persist.

You could apply haemorrhoid cream to shrink the prolapse slightly, and this will make it easier to push it back in.

I'd also keep her separate form the others for a while, as they may well investigate the prolapse with their beaks.

It might be a good idea to take her off layers pellets for a few days too, and just have her on weetabix with water, so that her egg laying tails off and gives her insides chance to settle.

I had a hen who suffered from a prolapse. If you told her by the legs upside down you can get a better view. I found that it was cleaner and easier to clip away some of the rear feathers. I cleaned the prolapse with water and sprayed on a purple dis-infectant spray for cuts and wounds for animals. Then i would recommend clean your own hands and putting the disinfectant on your fingers. Then gently place one or two fingers over the prolapse (it depends on the size of your fingers - had to use two!) Then gently press it on. I found that pushing in and down was the best way to make it stay! You may find that she keeps pushing it out. But if its possible, keep pushing it in! Make sure you keep her clean. You may have noticed over night she corrected it herself. If it wasn't to bad she will start laying again!

Hope this helps.

Hannah :)