sari

Really daft question/ Layers or Growers Pellets?

Hello Omleteers...

My girls are past the age of POL, ie the youngest was born in June, but they haven't started laying yet, obviously not enough light etc. They are still on some lovely organic growers pellets that a friend bought for his pigeons ( they are chicken grower pellets) but they didn't like them.....he's very particular :o but a guy I was talking to at the weekend, who was an absolute expert ( I'm doing it all wrong apparently...) said they shouldn't be on growers still, but should be on layers, as they'll get too fat. The Farmer I bought the chooks from said keep them on growers until they start to lay...so what to do? I still have a half sack of the growers, but have got some Omlet Layers too.....Advice please Omleteers :roll:

I'm confused....I have searched the threads too...

I would put them on layers - they're unlikely to lay until they are, although with the weather being so cold, they're unlikely to lay until next spring if they're pure breeds, although hybrids might well. They won't get too fat on growers however, so if you want to finish the sack, do so.

I'd start mixing the 2 together so you dont swap food too quickly! so 90% growers 10% layers on day 1, and by say day 10 you'd be the other way round and then on to layers completely. that's probably not much help, as now you have 3 options.... :D

Just want to make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients...and don't want fat chooks! They are all pure breeds, as I;ve since found out my hybrid isn't...so still not sure what to do....I'm useless at making decisions... :o