PeckyBeak

Mixed Corn - Beware!

The mixed corn I have been feeding my girls for some time has the usual Wheat and Maize in it, but it also has dried Blue Peas and Yellow Peas. It says on the label it is for poultry and pigeons. I will put a separate post up on the chicken clinic forum, but my Lavender Bluebelle, is hopefully now recovering from what I was treating as sour crop, which she clearly had but that wouldn't go away. So after going again to the vets, it was discovered that she had an impaction further down which they tried to but couldn't shift, other than by an operation to cut open her crop. The vet found loads of the peas that had got stuck and grown in size. :shock: Needless to say, I binned the rest and will only buy corn without the peas in future.

Hi Sari and oneyolktoanother, You may be OK with split peas, the ones in mine were whole. She is in isolation, and only having water with Avipro in, chopped up scrambled egg in water with Nutri drops and very sloppy mash. She cannot have grit yet, so everything has to be wet and vet says to flush her out. Even though it was Friday she had the op to clear her out, and she hadn't had corn for several days before, there are stilll bits of peas coming out. Baytril by mouth for 5 days and vets tomorrow. I have put a post on the clinic aswell and will let you know how she goes, but wanted to post on main board as important to warn to as many as poss. about the peas.

To balance the situation my lot have been eating whole peas, whole seeds and whole corn kernels all winter and (touch wood) no problems here

Crop problems often manifest in chooks that will obessively eat lots of the same thing either in one go over over some days

Its a fair warning and its always good to be aware of these things but most chooks will have eaten this same mix with no ill effects, it sounds like you were unlucky

Glad your chook is on the mend now :)

Thanks,Redwing!

In agreement with you and in fairness, Pecky has been feeding the chooks with this mix for two years and this is our first problem with blue and yellow peas.

On the basis of the upset to Lavender, our decision to remove the peas (which are really hard and must be difficult to digest) from the chooks' diet might be a bit over-the-top, but considering the cost of treatment and the stress on the hen we hope no-one else's chook suffers this...