missuscluck Posted February 13, 2011 Share Posted February 13, 2011 Just to let you know Aldi have Fruit Trees in this week for £3.99 each. A choice of cooking and eating Apples, Pears, Plums and Cherrys. Quite large trees for the price. Also, last weeks offer was Fruit bushes. Our Aldi still had some left in stock. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted February 13, 2011 Share Posted February 13, 2011 Good, I can replaced the ones killed by Jessica Rabbit Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted February 14, 2011 Share Posted February 14, 2011 I bought five They are big trees and good value. Citrus in next week. Last year I bought 2 lemons and they have flowered and fruited brilliantly. I put them out on the patio in the summer and the scent from the blossom was heavenly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 14, 2011 Share Posted February 14, 2011 Just got an email to say their wonderful Mediterranean trees (citrus, lavender & rosemary) are on offer on Thursday. I happened upon them last year,but didn't buy any,much to my regret,so will certainly be getting at least 2 citrus this year Last year there were Olives too..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 We popped in today and bought three apple trees. I couldn't remember which was which in our garden and Jessica has killed one so I felt it best to buy quite a few so that the remaining one gets pollinated Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 It's a nuisance for me to remember which pollinates which so I put a crab apple in the garden which does everything. Off to buy some citrus on today's offer Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 I've never tried growing citrus before, would it survive staying out all year or are they better in a conservatory in winter? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 I bring mine in as soon as frosts are threatened. They like being out in the summer and you get better fruit. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 I got an Olive,a real beauty,plus a nic bushy little lemon with 2 large fruits There were also some fab Kumquats, smothered in fruit,but I was getting low on car space! I brought my orange & lemon into my unheated porch for the winter,& fleeced them too,but they have lost LOADS of their leafs...is this usual? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 I got an Olive,a real beauty,plus a nic bushy little lemon with 2 large fruits There were also some fab Kumquats, smothered in fruit,but I was getting low on car space! I brought my orange & lemon into my unheated porch for the winter,& fleeced them too,but they have lost LOADS of their leafs...is this usual? Cinnamon, my mum's did that but it bounced back. Feed it in the spring and make sure it has plenty of light. Mine are OK and flowering. I've been watering sparingly and giving the odd winter citrus feed. My conservatory is unheated and on the odd really cold night I moved them into the kitchen. The lemons at my Aldi looked poor. I bought a Chinotto which is similar to the smaller Calamondin but has bigger darker fruits. I just looked it up and the fruit is used to flavour bitter drinks like Campari . I also got a standard Rosemary with loads of flower buds. Very pleased. The olives looked really good but I'm sure they wouldn't do well up here. There were also some standard lavenders ......I might get one if there are any left on Sunday. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 Sounds like you had more of a choice than we did,but our Lemons were better I do yearn & wish for a nice Lime,one day........ I will give the trees a feed,so thanks for that. They are in a glass unheated south facing porch,which should have been pretty much ideal for them,although it did get very cold here a few times EDIT: Just taken them out of their fleeces & the Orange doesn't look too bad,but the Lemon has no foliage left at all. I have trimmed off the deadest bits of the branches in the hopes that it bounces back.Good job I bought that one in Aldi today! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 Naughty Omlet people encouraging me to buy more plants . I only bought a cherry tree but now I will have to speak nicely to my OH to get him to plant it as I have a prolapsed disc and can't do any digging . Mind you there was a recipe on here for a really easy lemon tart so perhaps I can make that to butter him up . What would I do without the Omlet forum . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 Any cherry trees left ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted February 17, 2011 Share Posted February 17, 2011 Our Aldi had plenty of all the trees left yesterday. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Marple Posted February 19, 2011 Share Posted February 19, 2011 We got a cherry and a peach and some fruit bushes. Howvere our citrus were sad looking. might try another branch tomorrow and see if there are any left. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...