FudgeNessa

Dirty Bunny Bums

Our male rabbit is incredibly lazy and is getting dirty after doing number 2's. I always clean out any pooh that is not in the litter tray as soon as I see it, but his bottom is getting dirty. Tried today to clean off as much as possible while he was hopping around in the shed. He doesn't liked being picked up at all but doesn't mind me trying to clean him but not for a long period of time. Worried he is getting a bit podgy as he has a double chin and not able to clean himself properly. They are due their mixy jabs on Monday and I am sure the vet will say he needs to lose some weight, I know this will help with his cleaning and know fly strike could become a problem in the summer. Has anyone ever bathed their bunnies and is there a special shampoo you can use? Like to get him cleaned up. In the summer I am going to put netting over the run and front of the hutch to help.

Sorry for the waffle, any help will be appreciated.

One of my bunnies has had a problem like this. She wasn't overweight, she caught an infection :( .

I filled a washing up bowl with warm water. I'm sure there are special rabbit/ animal shampoos that you can buy but baby bath will be just as good and cheaper. I used baby bath but you could also use a mild shampoo as long as you ensure that it doesn't go in his eyes. Washing bunnies can be a bit awkward so it's useful to have an extra pair of hands avaliable to help you. Bunnies don't like being bathed so it's probably best if you have one person holding your rabbit and one person washing him. I'm not sure which breed your rabbit is but I brushed mine afterwards because she is particularly fluffy and her fur would have dried weirdly if we hadn't. Make sure you dry your bunny afterwards. I dried mine with a towel but you could use a hairdryer on it's lowest setting if you are in a hurry.

:)

Thanks for your reply. I have read lots of other reports that bathing a bunny isn't good for them and can cause shock. Today I am going to groom him and try and get underneath to get any dry pooh off with the brush and then get some bunny wipes which I see they sell in most big pet shops.

Yes I've decided to reduce the fresh veg, they have a constant source of hay and dry pellets. Have cut down on the cabbage today and there will be a smaller carrot later! Also I've just put them in their run and before doing so groomed his back end as best I could, a lot of fur is coming out and he is definitely losing his winter coat now, got some dirty fur off too but he really doesn't like me doing it for long, will have another go when I put them back later. I did wonder if the fresh grass I gave them yesterday was just too much.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for that. I think I might try a very shallow bath, get a new litter tray and put a bit of water in that, so it's only his feet and bum that get wet and yet clean him up and then towel dry. Will do it in the shed and put their towels on the floor and just let them explore to start with. It's going to be fun!!! Having said that just been up to see them in their run and there was only one small squidy poo, looking like a diet thing to me.

Yes, our old Rosie Rabbit needs her undercarriage washing every few days. Whoever had her before allowed her to get very overweight and even though she is trimmer now, her dewlap has a massive amount of excess skin which gets in the way of her being able to clean herself properly.

I have been told that bathing rabbits per se can be lethal because of the shock it could cause so we (yes you're right, it is a two person task :) ) turn Rosie onto her back and keep her as still and calm as possible while the other person wipes her with warm water and cloths. I would advise using a pet shampoo because rabbit skin is far more delicate than a humans - even baby shampoo is too harsh and can irritate a rabbit's skin. Standing your rabbit in about 2-3" of water is another option, but no deeper I think.

It's not a pleasant task is it :roll: but it's wwwaaayyy better than flystrike :shock:

Thank you everyone for your input, it's much appreciated. He was much better today and I really think it is a diet thing. As I said I did manage to give him a good brush downstairs as it was all dried into his fur and it is better than before, but rabbits don't look where they are walking either and he had a bit on his feet too!!!! Flystrike is nasty and I really want to avoid it, I don't care how paranoid I get. I was on my hands and knees in the shed today following him around and checking his bum and trying to brush him, but he is so worth it :P:P .

When my daughters are off next week I think there will be a shallow bathing session, just to give him a good freshen up then I will keep on top of it with wipes.

Thanks again all

(blackrabbit) Nessa

(brown rabbit) Fudge

Thank you everyone for your input, it's much appreciated. He was much better today and I really think it is a diet thing. As I said I did manage to give him a good brush downstairs as it was all dried into his fur and it is better than before, but rabbits don't look where they are walking either and he had a bit on his feet too!!!! Flystrike is nasty and I really want to avoid it, I don't care how paranoid I get. I was on my hands and knees in the shed today following him around and checking his bum and trying to brush him, but he is so worth it :P:P .

When my daughters are off next week I think there will be a shallow bathing session, just to give him a good freshen up then I will keep on top of it with wipes.

Thanks again all

(blackrabbit) Nessa

(brown rabbit) Fudge

glad he is much better :D its great how you kept an eye on it and got him cleaned up, as you say flystrike is a nasty problem, my family think i am paranoid but like i tell them he's my baby :D

Thanks everyone. Took bunnies for the mixy jabs today and it is confirmed, Fudge is overweight!! oh dear, thought he was and thankfully I have started to sort it out already. Apart from that she was very happy and said they were very healthy bunnies and coats lovely too. Nessa's weight is perfect. Told her of Fudge's bottom problems too and she said it was good that I was aware of it and trying to sort it out, has been much better for last couple of days and now sorting his diet out, which is helping already. Bought some bunny bottom wipes today too!!

(brown rabbit) Fudge

(blackrabbit) Nessa

Thanks everyone. Took bunnies for the mixy jabs today and it is confirmed, Fudge is overweight!! oh dear, thought he was and thankfully I have started to sort it out already. Apart from that she was very happy and said they were very healthy bunnies and coats lovely too. Nessa's weight is perfect. Told her of Fudge's bottom problems too and she said it was good that I was aware of it and trying to sort it out, has been much better for last couple of days and now sorting his diet out, which is helping already. Bought some bunny bottom wipes today too!!

(brown rabbit) Fudge

(blackrabbit) Nessa

Good to hear that your bunnies are fine apart from Fudge's weight, and that Fudge is already getting better :)

so glad I have read this, as have just had to wash a very dirty behind (in a shallow bowl as suggested). now she is all clean and drying out indoors, I will get some of those bunny wipes and do her on a daily basis. poor girl, I think she must have been quite uncomfortable but hopefully now we can keep on top of it.

I'm keeping Sapphire indoors tonight, because she still seems a bit damp and it is so cold and windy out there. we did have a go with a hairdryer, but she didnt really like it, so seems better to keep her in. have to say that Lily seems very happy without her!! (sapph can be a bit of a bossy boots).

not sure Sapphy is that happy, she seems quite down, but I'm not risking putting her out while she's damp. I'll see how she is in the morning and check the poo status - if its clogged up again then I think its the vet for her.

Fudge is much much better. I haven't had to resort to a bath yet. He has lost weight, which was needed and today I actually saw him able to bend right underneath and groom himself properly, which was certainly most of the problem. So all going well, bless him. Put them out on the grass today as it was lovely and sunny, can't wait for the Spring to properly arrive.

Glad everyone else is coping well with similar problems. x