fluffy chick

Just ordered new eglu!!! Yippee!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but learning loads already!

anyway, dh has finally given in to the hen pecking (me not the birds!) and ordered me a (pink eglu) for my upcoming birthday! Wayhey, so no more scrubbing the wooden coop for me! :lol: Not sure when it's coming as dh said it would be a 'surprise' :notalk::roll: He has been very out of character about it actually and said it made sense to order the run extension at the same time, didn't want to disagree! lol

So I wanted to share my exciting news but also to ask advice. I have a 3 bantams (2 silkies and 1 pekin) and would obviously like more :roll: I would like 1 (or2!) bigger girls like wyandottes for some bigger eggs, for dippy eggs and soldiers you understand :wink: I heard they were layed back enough not to bully bantys? Would I be ok to add 2 big girls or would it be too crowded? Would adding just 1 mean it would get picked on? Or would they pick on my little girls?? Oh I'm confused!! I guess I could add another banty or 2 instead. I should add that although they are in the run when I'm at work they are out fr ing weekends and a few hrs each night.

Any ideas :pray:

I now have two Wyandottes with my Silkies and all are happy together. I would, however, say that the Silkies seem to like their own company and the Wyandottes theirs so I think that one W. on her own could be a bit lonely. My Wyandottes are bigger than my Silkies but not as big as, say a Rhode Island Red. I think they may be banties, but apparently most Wyandottes are. The real guru of Wyandottes is Redwing, perhaps she'll be along to help soon. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum. :D

Thanks!

I love wyandottes, I heard you can get banty versions of them maybe that's the answer! How big are you eggs from them compared to the silkies if you don't mind me asking?

I just worry it'll be too cramped with 5, but I don't want to just introduce 1 on its own.

Bantie egg cups - now that would be good.

My Wyandottes have not laid yet as I only got them a week ago, but I'm expecting their eggs to be much the same size as my Silkies' eggs which are not all that diddy, about the size of a small super market egg and certainly a lot larger than my friend's Pekins' eggs.

If you can only accomodate one extra chook, then I would imagine that one Wyandotte could hold her own against Silkies. Mine seem to be able to chase my Sikies off the food if they want to (which is not often). Oddly the larger Wyandotte (Dumpy) is the more subordinate of the two Ws that I have. The Wyandottes are certainly more like 'normal' hens than the Silkies and are doing lots of hoofing. :roll: They are, by the way, silkier to touch than my Silkies. (edited to correct silly spelling mistake :oops: )

Edited by Guest

I got a Wyandotte bantie 6 weeks ago to keep my new silkie company, and they are inseperable, absolutely best buddies, so much so that the Silkie calls to the Wyandotte when she gets lost and the Wyandotte goes and collects her and brings her back, it's really sweet to watch. She is only a baby, so much smaller than the silkie at the moment, but growing all the time, and a very sparky little character.

(pink eglu) came yesterday!!! It's quite a bit bigger than I was imagining. My little girls look teeny weeny next to it. I have't put them in yet though as the run extension hasn't come yet. I think I will have room for another 1 or 2 - yippee!

I guess I should let my bantys settle in first before trying to introduce the new ones. Has anyone any suggestions for a smooth introduction? I still have my wooden coop should I need to separate again.