Henergy

Putting to bed !!

Ok so we picked up our two chickens yesterday afternoon & kept then shut in their sleep area until this am. Then we opened up & within an hour they ventured into the run area for food. Then at midday they both disappeared for half an hour back inside & laid us two lovely eggs. Then during the afternoon they were in & out as the mood took them. So at dusk, my son & I took out the food & expected them to wander in to sleep. Unfortunately they had other ideas & decided to start to sleep in the run area under their house ! Due to the design of the house I was unable to reach them. So we spent an hour cajouling them out. Eventually I had a torch & raisins & managed to get them close enough to me to grab & put up into box. First one was fine, but I didn;t have hold of the other one so well so she flapped & clucked in protest. Now I feel bad, should I have just left them out - would they have gone in eventually or slept out all night ? Worried that I will have hurt her by trying to force the issue.

Lisa - very green urban chicken owner !

Lisa,

Welcome to the whacky world of chickens! I am sure you didn't hurt your girls - some of them sometimes need gently reminding where their bedroom is on the first couple of nights. Once they have spent a whole night in there I am sure they will go in of their own accord from now on!

Pictures? Love to see your girls. :D

I'm fairly new to the world of chickens too and my girls got quite panicky on the first night cos they couldn't find "bed". Then I found the notes from the Omlet people who suggested putting a torch in their coop/Eglu and sure enough that did the trick. They must follow the light. Anyway, we've had no problems since (and they don't need the light anymore!) so I'm sure yours will quickly get the idea :D

I'd read that if possible, introduce the birds in the housing for 24 hours (with food and water) before letting them out in to the run, so they get used to their new night time home first and foremost. Has anyone had any experience of introducing this way? How does it compare?

Thanks!

Thank you so much for your replies. Hopefully they will be quick learners ! I've decided to leave them in a bit longer tomorrow morning too, just to try & help them feel more relaxed. They'll have a quieter day too as children at school tomorrow !

Will post a picture if I can work it out !!!