Christian Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Only just caught up with this! Glad you are all ok Sheila. What a shock! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted March 29, 2011 Share Posted March 29, 2011 Glad everyone's ok Sheila.....a nasty shock though ...........thanks for the reminder A friend once told me you should never leave your washing machine on when you're not home either. They are a major cause of house fires too I'd heard this years ago & ever since have avoided the practice if possible! Our machines are often on overnight..........maybe not now ......we have smoke alarms everywhere, all mains run, when the batteries run low it's always at about 2am & they beep loudly outside my bedroom door ..one of the joys of a DH who has to keep a hotel up to the latest fire spec, so the house gets upgrades too I know they all work as the toaster sets them off with monotonous regularity....must get a new toaster Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted March 29, 2011 Author Share Posted March 29, 2011 Glad everyone's ok Sheila.....a nasty shock though ...........thanks for the reminder A friend once told me you should never leave your washing machine on when you're not home either. They are a major cause of house fires too I'd heard this years ago & ever since have avoided the practice if possible! Our machines are often on overnight..........maybe not now ......we have smoke alarms everywhere, all mains run........ Somehow, I had no idea about not leaving appliances running unattended, it is nationwide common practice, but clearly a dangerous one! Yes, I was very shocked, largely from having to go back a second time to wake LSH, will have to review our exit strategies! I posted about the smoke alarms because, had I gone to bed, it would literally have made the difference between life or death. The kitchen would have been gutted by the time the fire brigade arrived, but we would have been safe out of the house. However, the other shock has been the realisation that we are incredibly lucky to have our house. My usual practice has been to put appliances on before leaving the house in the morning. That lovely feeling of all the cleaning done by magic whilst I'm out. Never again, I'm in no doubt the whole house would have gone, it really would, and I'm so thankful that it didn't! Actually, I still feel shaky about that, so thank you for all your kind responses. I posted as a warning but also now I've appreciated all the replies, thank you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...