Sheilaz Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Check your smoke alarms, buy one or an extra one, they are life savers! By chance I saw an electrical fire start here. If I hadn't, the smoke alarms would have been the only thing to save our lives. I'm not exaggerating. I wouldn't be here. Last night I turned on the dishwasher before going to bed. I needed to go back to the kitchen, thank goodness, just in time to hear a bang and see black smoke coming from the machine. I turned off the electricity and went to wake LSH and came back to see flames coming out. I unsuccessfully tried to put it out by smothering, and LSH hadn't appeared, he had answered me but not woken! I went back to wake him properly and when we reached the kitchen the fire was taking hold. I said I'd call the fire brigade and then we'd get DD2, but LSH amazingly managed to blow out the fire! It was clearer to see where the initial flame was by then, I couldn't see where it was coming fromat the start. The toxic smoke was frightening, and the flames had started onto the work surface, all just in a couple of minutes. Please, please, tell everyone you know and do it today! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Oh my goodness! You must be in a right old state today,relieved but shocked Glad you & yours are all OK - my alarms are on the mains,so no checking really required,only to make sure the back up battery is Ok in case of a fire and a power cut. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LuckyChickenLover- Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Scary stuff. At least you and everyone else in your family is okay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 OMG, glad you are all OK. Never had a fire but it's one reason why I never put appliances on at bedtime. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fluffy chick Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 crikey ! I always put the dish washer on at night! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Blimey! Am glad you are all OK. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Sheila, how awful! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Scary! Glad you are all ok Ours in the halls + landings are on the mains too but will check them when I get home! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 That must have been so scary. Glad you are all well and hope the damage is not too bad. My alarms are powered off the mains - good job too as one is placed on my landing ceiling. The trouble is it is about 15ft in the air over the stairwell so it feels like 25ft and barely in reach when you position the long ladders. Not sure why the builders put it in such an unreachable place. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Blimey Sheila! Glad you are all OK Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Crikey Glad you are OK. Hope there isn't too much damage to clear up, rather that than what could've been though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Phew poor you glad you are ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 How scary . Thank goodness you went back to the kitchen . I'm so glad you're all OK. I recently bought two Fire Angel smoke alarms that plug into a light socket (so recharge themselves when the light is switched on). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 How frightening for you, I'm glad that you are all ok and hope that there isn't too much damage. Thank you for reminding us as we do tend to take these things for granted Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karlotta Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 How scary! thanks for the reminder - I had a faulty one that I binned a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got round to getting a new one... Will try and find somewhere open after work tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 - glad to hear you're all OK Sheila! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 So glad you are all ok, it must have been so scary, someone was watching out for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Glad that you're OK Sheila, and thanks for reminding me to check mine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Glad you are ok, and thanks for the warning. I often put the dishwasher - and the washing machine - on overnight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 I am glad that you spotted the fire and are all OK. I heard a fire officer on the radio a while back saying that dishwashers on overnight are quite a common cause of house fires. We usually put ours on at night, but never when we are out of the house. I figure that I have smoke alarms that would warn me and the convenience of doing it overnight is a balanced risk. I am having doubts now though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperman Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Glad to hear you are ok Sheila, Just checked ours, it's still working. I bought a fire extinguisher too when we had the open fire put in. I am glad to say it has never been needed, but it is nice to know it is there in case of incidents such as yours. I hope you didn't have too much smoke damage. Kev. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cheeky girls Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 So glad you are okay. I spent some time as a patient in Stoke Mandeville burns unit many many years back (due to a bad scald) and saw some awful things as a result of fire injuries. We all assume it won't happen to us - the sales of smoke alarms will go up over the next few days I am sure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MummyHen Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Oh my goodness - that is so very frightening Thankfully you had to go back in to the kitchen Most nights the dishwasher goes on just as we are going to bed - not any longer So glad you are all OK and there's not too much damage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Oh my god! Glad to hear you are all ok. Thanks for the heads up on something you take for granted! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 A friend once told me you should never leave your washing machine on when you're not home either. They are a major cause of house fires too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...