Barkisland

Need a bit of advice please re hen roosting on top of cube

I rehomed three hens from the free range farm that was closing down. We've had the girls about a month, and they are beautiful, lovely girls. One of them, Lily, insists on roosting alone on top of the cube. Every night, the others go to bed together, inside the cube. Lily goes last, and flies up to the top deck, to settle down on her own. Every night, after nightfall, I take my torch down the paddock, and put her into the cube with the others. If I do it too soon, and it's still a bit light, she gets back out and goes back to where she was :roll:

Now, apart from pooing on top of the cube, which is a bit of a nuisance :vom: , I'm worried she will get cold up there on her own. Not so much a problem at the moment, but if I don't cure her of this habit, what will happen to her in the winter when temperatures plunge? She is locked inside a secure run, so predators aren't a problem.

Should I keep doing what I'm doing? Should I just leave her to it? What could I do to change her behaviour?

do you have an omlet run attached to your cube? if so, you could shut her and the other girls in there a little while before they go to bed (this is what we do, as otherwise they wander around the gaden for ages!). You could also get her off the roof of the (cube green) and put her straight in the house, and shut the door so she stays in there

This is a tricky one.... I have girls that favour perches to being inside the cube. One of my girls insisted on sleeping on a perch even in the coldest snow :roll: I left her to it and she's been fine (but appenzellers were bred for the Switzerland snow topped mountains so are hardy).

As the weather is nicer I'd leave her to it, if she gets really cold she will go in the cube (my Nyssa did when it was a particularly cold and blowy night :wink: )

Thanks. They are inside a large, secure walk in run. I always lock them inside the run before dusk, and they put themselves to bed. I leave the cube open at night, so they can get out early in the morning. I let them out of the run to free range as and when able to supervise, which is quite often.

I've been putting her in the cube religiously every night, but she aint getting the message! I'm starting to think I'll have to leave her to it - although do wish she wouldn't poop all over me lovely cube :roll:

I might leave her in future, and just put her inside if I think it's particularly cold or windy.

Hi there, I had the same problem with one of my columbines, who kept insisting on sleeping on top of the cube!. After a lot of persistance she did finally get used to the idea of sleeping inside the cube, but it did take quite a while! Its up to you if you are concerned then I would continue to put her in and she should get used to it.

Our two flighty ladies (Columbine and White Star) roosted on top of the cube from when we bought it (mid June) until 10th November :lol: so every night, when it was getting dark and they were sleepy, I'd put them in the cube and they'd stay there.

As winter approached and the clocks went back, they got the message and went to bed in the cube - and continued all through the winter just gone. Then lo and behold, on the day the clocks went forward into British Summer Time the other week... yup, the Columbine is back on the roof,only going in on the odd night when its been really cold. DH has now screwed a pipe to the WIR - it rests on the roof of the cube so she can roost on it (she's getting messy knickers) but now the minx is back inside!

Our White Star still goes to bed inside (fingers crossed!).

If she's choosing to roost outside, I wouldn't worry too much - after all, hens roost in trees! As it's only one hen that's behaving in this way, it is probably a little personality trait of her own, but if your hens are reluctant to go into the coop at night, it's always worth checking that you don't have redmite. It attacks them at night, and if they are all reluctant to go to bed, it might be an indication that they're being bitten.