Dolly Posted April 12, 2011 Share Posted April 12, 2011 (edited) This morning I noticed that Roxy didn't seem herself (bit quiet and slightly fluffed up) and after each mouthful of pellets, she made a noise like she was trying to get her breath back as if her nose was blocked (like we do when we have a really bad cold and are trying to eat with a bunged up nose). She didn't appear to make this noise the rest of the time. I'm particularly worried as she had a bout of myco a few weeks ago (which cleared up with a course of Tylan) but the only symptom back then was her face was swollen on one side, no bubbly eyes or nasal discharge. I've listened to her chest by putting my ear on her back and I can't hear any rattling (but blimey, don't they have a fast heart beat! ) So do you think it's "just a cold" or should I book a trip to the vet? Is there anything I can get to help her? She's been through so much recently (myco, stuck soft eggs and a subsequent suprelorin implant a week ago), I thought she'd had her fair share of illness by now Edited April 19, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 12, 2011 Share Posted April 12, 2011 I'd take her to the vet if she were mine. TBH she sounds like a rather poorly chook, so you should be prepared that they may suggest that she's PTS. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 12, 2011 Author Share Posted April 12, 2011 Well I got back from work this afternoon (having made an appointment with the vet for 5.30pm today), to find Roxy right as rain, looking perky as ever! I swear she's trying to scare me on purpose! She's still scratching her face frequently though, so I think there's something irritating her that's not quite right so we'll keep the appointment just in case. Also, knowing my luck if I cancel it and she'll be off colour again tomorrow Will report back later! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 15, 2011 Author Share Posted April 15, 2011 The vet gave Roxy a thorough once over and couldn't find anything wrong with her respiratory system and no signs of the myco returning. Back home afterwards, she was fine and wondering what all the fuss was about.... that was Tuesday. Today she's looking a bit sorry for herself again, I've just treated her with Eprinex as the vet thought the face scratching may be due to mites (but neither of us could see any at the time). I'm running out of ideas now, but she is going through a heavy moult, which I believe is due to the Suprelorin implant she had a few weeks ago - I do remember someone else who had a hen with an implant saying a moult followed - do you think this is why she's not feeling very perky? Other than that, she's been wormed a month ago, I can't see any mites, the implant seems to be working as we've not had any eggs since so it can't be that one is stuck. Any suggestions gratefully received, she is a worry to me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 15, 2011 Share Posted April 15, 2011 If she's had an implant, then that's likely to be the cause - they cause an awful lot of disruption to a hen's system Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 15, 2011 Author Share Posted April 15, 2011 Thanks Claret, I'll keep on making sure she's okay and eating/drinking and hopefully she'll improve. I would hate to think I'd missed anything which might help her. I guess helping her with one problem has caused another Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 15, 2011 Share Posted April 15, 2011 I guess helping her with one problem has caused another Exactly, those implants weren't designed for use on poultry and there is an ongoing debate about their suitability.... speak to any poultry vet and you'll get a different opinion The general train of thought with people I've spoken to is that they are too 'strong' and expensive for use on poultry. But then as I said, everyone seems to have a different stance on their use. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 15, 2011 Author Share Posted April 15, 2011 There does certainly seems to be a difference on opinion on this one as you say Claret, it depends on who you ask and where you read about it! When I took Roxy to the vet and mentioned the implant to help the continual soft / shell-less eggs, I was expecting him to disagree or say it wouldn't work, but he immediately said "oh yes, I fitted one to a bird a few weeks ago!". Just been to check on her and she's still standing there with her eyes closed, it breaks my heart to see them poorly. Other than it being a response to the implant and now the moulting, I don't know what else it could be. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 15, 2011 Share Posted April 15, 2011 (edited) Just been to check on her and she's still standing there with her eyes closed, it breaks my heart to see them poorly. Other than it being a response to the implant and now the moulting, I don't know what else it could be. Dolly, can I be honest here? This is my opinion only, but she seems a very poorly hen and the condition you describe above indicates that she may be in pain. If she were my hen, I'd do the kindest thing and have her PTS it's not easy but perhaps the best thing you could do for a hen in that position; you have done everything you can for her, but in the end it's down to her strength and will to live. Edited April 15, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 15, 2011 Author Share Posted April 15, 2011 Oh dear, I don't want her to be in pain or suffering but I value your opinion and I'm sad to say I think you may be right. Its so hard to stop 'waiting until tomorrow as she could be better', I love her to bits and it will break my heart but I'm not someone who will do whatever it takes to keep a pet alive if that's not the best thing for them. This little bundle of feathers has brought so much joy and pleasure to me over the last 2.5 years and I'll try to do the best for her now, she deserves no less Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 15, 2011 Share Posted April 15, 2011 It really is your call Dolly, but if it's any consolation I've been in a similar situation myself. Try to step back and look at the situation as if it were new to you; it helps sometimes to have a clearer view. Perhaps giving yourself a deadline to make any decision will help. I had a hen who was 5 and never really recovered from a bad moult last winter, I gave her 24 hours to show any improvement but had to despatch her soon after setting the deadline.... amid tears as she'd been a favourite. She had a great life though and was very happy until she started to moult. I suspect that her recovery was hampered by something else, a tumour perhaps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 15, 2011 Author Share Posted April 15, 2011 Thank you Claret, I think that's what I'll do, I'll set a deadline and if she's not herself by then, we'll do what's best for her. So sorry to hear about your hen too, Roxy is my favourite so I can sympathise totally. She's always by my side and is like a little dog, even the vet said she's quite a character. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 15, 2011 Share Posted April 15, 2011 My Roxanne was exactly the same Dolly. See how she is in the morning, you can always cancel the vet appointment if she improves. Sometimes the right decision is the hardest to make Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dolly Posted April 19, 2011 Author Share Posted April 19, 2011 We took Roxy to the vets the following morning but unfortunately the only 2 vets who have in-depth poultry knowledge weren't available I ended up giving suggestions to the vet as to what I thought was wrong with her (possibly coccidiosis?) and after checking the poo sample I took in under the microscope, she prescribed Coxi Plus and sent the sample for lab testing. The vet and my OH didn't seem to think going down the PTS route was needed yet. We separated her from the others and gave her a large selection of treats, porridge etc to encourage her to eat. The next day she seemed about the same but I kept tempting her with any food she'd take from me. She improved a bit each day and now she's a different girl, bright eyed, eating and drinking and apart from a few runny droppings, almost back to herself! She didnt have cocci in the end but they're now testing for salmonella just to rule that out. I spoke to our usual vet who said to continue with the Coxi Plus anyway, as it contained a broad spectrum antibiotic which would help. Our little Roxy is definately a fighter who didn't want to leave just yet, probably just in case she missed anything! So I'm cautiously celebrating as we're not out of the woods completely but I'm so happy to see her bossing everyone round again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted April 19, 2011 Share Posted April 19, 2011 that sounds better- keep fighting, Roxy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 20, 2011 Share Posted April 20, 2011 It's good to hear that she's turned around. It's so difficult to know if you are doing the right thing and none of us want them to suffer. Long may she improve. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 23, 2011 Share Posted April 23, 2011 Good news Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...