JAG

Does Baytril help chickens?

Over the last two years I've taken three chickens to the vet, the first was young, very weak and underweight, the second was an old chicken I had given to me and the vet thought she'd got an internal tumour and the one I took Monday was her normal weight, had been off her food for about 1 day and had diarrhoea. Each chicken was presecribed Baytril (10x baytril 2.5% oral * 1ml) Dose: 0.75ml twice daily by mouth. Within 24 hours after visiting the vet each of my three chickens were dead! I wasn't too surprised about the first two, but the one this week I didn't expect to die, she hadn't been ill for long and I really wanted to check she wasn't eggbound, which he confirmed she wasn't. After taking the Baytril she went downhill rapidly. Can anybody help me as to their opinion of Baytril. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

In my experience, Baytril's useful for simple infections like mycoplasma (so is Tylan).

What it will not sort is -

-any infection that's resistant to it (and some are - we had a hen recently that had amongst other things a gut infection that was oddly related to acne - and that's resistant to Baytril apparently)...

-septic peritonitis - once they've got that, no antibiotic will cure it

Hi it wouldnt have been anything to do with the baytril my chickens have taken it a few times i dont bother taking my chickens to the vets anymore as every vet ive been to i tell them what is wrong with my birds and no matter what it is they always give you baytril which is a antibiotic you could try changing your vets im yet to find one that actually knows whats wrong with my birds so i try and treat them myself depending on what has been wrong with my birds they have responded well to baytril and recovered its just a shame you need to see a vet to get it leanne :)

Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic. It wont harm your birds and may pick up and treat effectively a range of bacterial infections. Vets, like doctors, give this sort of thing in the absence of any clear symptoms that can be helped with other drugs or treatment. Chickens are fairly fragile creatures and can die suddenly despite our best efforts. Even a trip to the vets and increased handling on top of an illness - often kept hidden by the bird until things get critical, can stress them and tip them over the edge.

Mine do not like to go to the vets. My three were worse the day after the vets but they recovered on the following day. It’s hard with chickens to know what to do for the best but I’ve learnt not to hesitate and go asap where possible before they get too sick. I think a mobile avian vet would be a great option.