Donna C Posted May 28, 2011 Share Posted May 28, 2011 (edited) Hi guys, my 6x9wir is soon to be 6x12 so am thinking what to add to my flock. I really wanted ex- batts but just when I thought I'd got my oh on side he changes his mind . So now I'm wondering if I could add two bantams? Would they be safe or would my large girls squash them. Many thanks once again. Edited May 28, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bostock422 Posted May 28, 2011 Share Posted May 28, 2011 Bantams are a lightweight bird, and orp's a heavy bird, they should be alright after they've settled down, but I can't say how long that will take to happen. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 28, 2011 Share Posted May 28, 2011 Don't see why not if you follow normal slow introductions. I have a small bantam orp in with hybrids and they are more feisty than orps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bouldercroft Posted May 28, 2011 Share Posted May 28, 2011 I can't comment directly about orp's but I have one bantam and four full-sized girls and Josie does a good job of holding her own...so much so that's she's the flock bully! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted May 28, 2011 Share Posted May 28, 2011 Most of the time you can mix LF orps with bantam orps - assuming the bants are ideally 20 weeks or older and your top hen is as laid back as the majority of orps. Younger ones might just get bullied. Follow the normal procedures. The LF girls assert their dominance over the smaller ones, the pecking order is assured and then harmony should reign. However, to be totally responsible, you should have a Plan B just in case you have a rogue grumpy hen. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...