marti1066

Bees in my chimney ......

Hi Bee keepers,

I have a colony of bees which currently live in a capped off chimney on the roof, I was quite happy to leave them up there but last weekend they seemed to have swarmed as I was bitten by one that flew into my hair!, I didn't realise I was allergic to them but I am and ended up n Hospital, I can't believe that the side effects were so horrible, never get this with chickens!.

So they now have to go, they are honey bees and I really didnt want to have them destroyed, so thought I would offer them to a local bee keeper. I live in Spellbrook, Herts. and if you are looking for a colony ping me an email, failing that .......... Rentokil!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

marti.

Sorry to hear of your experience, true allergic reactions to bee stings are very rare but as you have had one, I can see why you need to get rid of them. Unfortunately bees in a chimney are nigh-on impossible to remove. You'd be better off contacting your local council for the details of someone who can destroy them.

Your post caught my eye because my husband has just got his first beehive and bees. I asked him his opinion on your problem and he said that bees are a protected species and it is illegal to destroy them :wall: but on the plus side if they swarmed then the likely hood is that they have left your chimney of their own accord and if not they will die off over winter and it shouldnt happen again. Sorry its not brilliant news. He also said it is worth contacting your local beekeepers association and see if they can help. I hope you are feeling better after your hospital visit :) Good luck

Bees are not protected and you can kill them.....sorry.

What you have to be careful with is that you kill them in such a fashion that any surviving contaminated bees do not then take anything harmful to a kept colony. People have been sued for just this. For this reason I don't think Rentokil will help you.

Your swarmed bees will have left with the queen. What remains is about half the bees and a growing queen or few to continue the colony. It is unlikely that an established one has abandoned your chimney for good.

There are beekeepers who will take them if they are accessible, often if they are not and feel up to a challenge.

Please put a notice in http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk where you are much more likely to get help than this small forum.

Best of luck.

PS pm me if you want me to post this for you.

Dear all,

after posting my question last night i have had some developments ........

This morning whilst in the garden they swarmed again!, but this time settled in a tree at ground level, I immediately phone my local bee association and a lovely couple came over to collect them, they were delighted and so was I, however, this is only the split hive and the ones in the chimney will still be there but a least not so many, so will still need to get rid of them. It it also my understanding that not all bees are protected and you can dispose of them,at at least I have found a great home for the ones that swarmed today.

Many thanks for all your assistance and replies.

Regards,

Marti.

hi,

well at least half the bees have gone, I think that due to the location of the rest they are going to have to be destroyed, its a shame but I really cannot take the risk of getting another sting, I will leave them for a while and see but I think we are due a very hot summer and I guess this will make them even more active!

best wishes,

Martine

Don't forget, as OSH has mentioned above, you have to be very careful when destroying bees because if there are any local colonies, bees from there may come to rob stores, and they can be poisoned by the chemicals. If you use a licensed pest control person, they will know about this, I just mention this because it sounds as if you have some local beekeepers.

You'll probably need to get the chimney capped with mesh to prevent this; that will also prevent another swarm from inhabiting it in future years. Bees will re-use a place where there's been a colony before, so you could be faced with the same problem in future years otherwise.