Donna C

bedding for guinea-pigs

Hi guys,I lost one of my boys last weekend, have brought his brother in the house as didn't want him left outside on his own. He is blind in one eye and very slow on his feet now, He's 5 years old. (if anyone knows where i can get a cheap indoor cage for him that would be great)Anyway was in pet shop buying doggy treats and fell in love with two baby guinea-pigs and they are settling in well. My question is i use shredded paper for bedding for my chickens, can i use this for the guinea-pigs and give them hay/straw in a cube?

Mant thanks

Donna

We will be entering the Guinea Pig world - on Friday hopefully! (youngest son has been asking for them for ages, so we are going to try and find a couple on Friday which is his birthday).

We had piggies years ago and used hay then, so have some to use now, plus aubiose for the floor of their run.

Very exciting! :D I hope you find some lovely piggies! :D

At the moment I have used newspaper to line the tray then easibed then hay. But then I read somewhere the GPs shouldn't have pine chippings which I think is what easibed is made of....I can't get aubiose although I have read that hemp bedding is great for GPs so long as it doesn't have added citronella...which aubiose doesn't but other similar bedding products do...phew!

Look forward to hearing about your new arrivals! 8)

I use Megazorb which is a dust extracted virgin wood pulp (no additives) and extremely absorbent.

You get it in 85 litre sacks and it costs around £7.00 plus delivery if you don't have a local stockist.

Just for information, our local garden centre is stocking products from a company called Pet Face ... I bought their compressed bale of Timothy Hay for £3.49 and its really good quality, and when fluffed up fills a bin liner, so a really good buy.

Thanks for your replies :D

I'll have a scout around local pet shops to see what they sell and prices etc. I keep hearing about megazorb but have never seen it in the flesh!

I was hoping to use the same bedding (as well as newspaper and hay) as I use for the chickens so that I'm not having to buy and store two bales/bags. I tend to use something like hemp (along the lines of aubiose although it's never actually aubiose :roll: ) and shredded paper in the nest box...

I made fleecy liners for my guinea pig cage. They work so well as the wee passes through it into the liner below leaving it touch dry. Poo and food bits can be swept off and the top then the liners can then be washed in the washing machine.

I made them from mattress protectors and sewed fleece onto the top of it with a border around the side edge. I have two so I can change them frequently. My daughter has asked for a Christmas fleece to be made into liners for December!!!!