fujcube

Help! - Why are our ducklings dying??

Hi all,

2 weeks ago, our White Call Duck hatched 8 out of her 12 eggs. Everyhting was perfectly fine until aprrox a week ago when one of the ducklings suddenly died. Since then all but 2 of the ducklings have died, 3 of them dying today.

I am almost certain it's disease but value everyone comments and suggestions on possible causes and how to try and avoid this type of thing happening again.

The ducklings appear to be fit and healthy, then suddenly, the affected duck will lose it's sense of balance. It will fall on it's back and struggle to get up again. Once it does, it is an effort for it to keep up with the rest of the brood, usually giving up the fight within minutes. It will then sit in the same position, almost like it's falling asleep until it topples over. It will then try to sit upright but by then, has lost most of it's strength and within a few minutes, it has died.

From the onset of symptoms to death is no more than 2 hours.

Regards, fujcube

Oh crikey I am sorry to hear that!

I have no idea what could be causing it, its worth posting on a more active duck forum such as the one on Practical Poultry forum though

So sorry about your ducklings, I know how eagerly awaited they were :(

Sorry to say that the last duckling died sometime this morning. Unfortunately, I was at work at the time but I'm pretty certain that whatever killed the other 7, killed this one.

Is it possible that I have transferred a disease/infection from my hens to my ducklings?

Although the ducklings had a new hut, bedding etc etc, the container the bedding was in, came from the hen house. Not having had young hens or ducks to worry about before, I didn't really give cross contamination a second thought.

Regards

Quick google search finds this:

DHV [duck hepatitis virus] causes a highly contagious infection of ducks. It is of no known public health significance. The disease is an acute, rapidly spreading, often fatal virus infection of young ducklings. It usually affects ducklings under 6 weeks of age and often much younger. The clinical disease is characterised by lethargy and ataxia. Ducklings lose their balance, fall on their sides and kick spasmodically prior to death. At death the head is usually drawn back in the opisthotonos position. The whole disease sequence is rapid and can take as little as 1–2 hours. Practically all mortality in a flock will occur within 3–4 days, with most deaths on the second day. Gross pathological changes appear chiefly in the liver, which is enlarged and displays distinct punctate and ecchymotic haemorrhages. Spleen enlargement and swelling of the kidneys with some congestion of renal blood vessels may also be apparent. Microscopic changes in the liver are characterised by extensive hepatocyte necrosis and bile duct hyperplasia, together with varying degrees of inflammatory cell response and haemorrhage.

Could be worth a post-mortem? Further reading suggests there is a vaccine available.

How sad for you to have this happen.

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Don't know how I let that one slip by, I thought I had read everything on the net there was to read on ducklings!!

This looks almost identical to the symptoms displayed by our ducklings. I didn't actually see them kick spasmodically prior to death but that not to say it didn't happen.

I will be seeking the advice of my local vet tomorrow on the best course of action to take.

Regards,

Hi all,

Well, went to talk to my local vet this afternoon and ask for his opinion and advice on what could have happened to our ducklings and where we go from here.

As expected, he advised me that without doing a post mortem, we would never know for sure what killed them. Even then, a post mortem wouldn't be conclusive and as he estimated an initial fee of £60 - £70, the costs just don't stack up.

I suggested that it looked like DHV and that there was a vaccine available that would prevent the mother passing the virus down to her offspring. After 10 minutes or so of reading and surfing, he indicated that there was no vaccine catalogued for clinical use in the UK and that more than likely, it would have to be imported.

Needless to say, importing a vaccine is frought with red tape and associated fees and is there is no guarantee that it would work.

The vet said that if I could locate the name and a supplier of the vaccine, then they would import and administer it for me but couldn't give me any idea of the costs involved.

With all this in mind, it just doesn't make financial sense to pursue this any further. The duck won't die or have to be put down. All it means is that we can't use her as breeding stock.

We have another 6 eggs from another bloodline in the incubator, due to hatch any day now. Hopefully, we'll get a duck from them. If not, we will source another duck from a reliable source and retire ours to a friend's pond.

On the issue of the medicated starter crumbs. I asked both our feed supplier and the vet if it was possible that what happened was in any way feed related. They were both of the opinion that although you should always try to get the correct feed for your stock, feeding medicated chick crumb to a duckling shouldn't kill it. It may make it feel slightly poorly but not enough to kill it. This is good enough advice for me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their posts, PM's, Facebook messages and Txts, offering advice and support.

Kindest regards, fujcube