beach chick

Arthur is in hospital, HAPPY UPDATE

poor Arthur - he has a compound fracture of a back leg and is spending the night in a very small cage at the vets on antibiotics and painkillers and will probably have his leg amputated in the morning :(:(:( The other option was putting to sleep.

we have no idea what happened - I was in and out of the garden all day, bunnies were in their run hopping about just fine every time I looked at them; then youngest went to put them in their hutch at 7.45 and found Arthur with his back leg dangling so I rushed him straight to the vet.

they just might try and fix it, with external fixators etc, but I suspect that if he pulls through the night we will have a 3 legged rabbit. on the plus side, he is young - 4 months ish, fit and healthy.

please keep everything crossed that Arthur makes it, I'm upset (I cried at the vets) and so is my 12 year old.

Edited by Guest

thanks. he did well over night, they were very happy because he'd eaten lots. in surgery now (ish) for the amputation which makes me :( but obviously better than the alternative. still keeping everything crossed he comes through the anaesthetic/recovery ok. they will keep him in til they are sure he's eating properly afterwards, and I can call about 2pm to find out how he's doing...

he's doing well! :D op was delayed because they were short-staffed, so finally spoke to vet about 5.30.

he has come thru the amputation op and come round ok. they reckon he's a fighter - it was taking 2 nurses to syringe feed him! so he is there now til at least tomorrow afternoon, and I reckon best place for him, I've tried to syringe stuff into buns before and it is not easy.

not out of the woods yet, but we are all feeling relieved at least it is done... it's his rear leg at the 'knee' joint iyswim, so I reckon he will be ok if he gets through the next 24 hours. poor Ruby misses him! thank you everyone for kind words, it means a lot - there are not many people you can tell how worried you are about a rabbit!

He is home! :lol:

vet pleased with him, he has been eating and pooing/weeing while in their care, and moving around pretty comfortably considering.

he is now in the tortoise cage in our porch - sheltered but fresh air, and if it is nice and dry outside we can move it out so he is next to Ruby in her run and at least they can see each other. he has shredded paper bedding, which we are to change 2-3 times a day as got to keep the wound clean and dry; he starts metacam tomorrow (had big painkiller before he came home) plus some kind of probiotic thing for his gut.

we also have emergency food and a syringe in case we need to force-feed him - chuckymama, you're a VN, am I right?

only I have tried to do this before, and either made the stuff so wet it dribbles out, or so thick you cant suck it up in the syringe - what am I doing wrong? (might PM you later if that's ok and you dont appear on the thread....)

but we are very pleased to have him back; he had a lovely wash as soon as we settled him down which seems like a good sign, and now he's resting. hasnt eaten much here, just a few willow leaves, but I will go and find him some dandelion leaves later.

all going well, he's eaten a fair bit (willow leaves, dandelion leaves, grass, rabbit muesli, apple - actually that sounds like loads :lol: )

got a bit worried about 6pm as he hadnt peed or pooed, but that is now all working fine. back to vet for check on monday am.

once his fur has grown back I honestly think it will be very hard to tell he has lost a leg.

Great to hear that he is home and sounds like he is doing really well. I wouldn't worry too much about syringe feeding him if he is eating and drinking well. If you do need to you would be better off using a feeder syringe rather than a standard syringe. I always avoid syringing animals fluid unless absolutely necessary as they inhale liquid so easily. They are more inclined to swallow slightly sloppy food rather than fluid but you definitely need a feeder syringe for this. If he is happily being tempted with food I would carry on with that. Get him back to normal food ASAP. If he doesn't poo soon there is a paste that you can give him to keep his guts moving. You can't be too careful with fly strike protection so make sure that you have that angle covered and keep stress to an absolute minimum too :wink:

(might PM you later if that's ok
PM away if you need to :)

thanks CM, I think we are doing ok with 'normal' food which is a relief! we've got the probiotic paste stuff for his gut and that's quite easy to give, he's only got to have it today/tomorrow.

we put him outside yesterday, in his cage next to Ruby in the run, and it was sweet to see them saying hello through the bars.

yes, he doesnt seem to mind it. I am also giving metacam via a syringe, altho vet said we could put it on his food - just seems better to know he's had it, rather than let him pick at it all day.

for a 3-legged rabbit he can't half move!! oldest is making a lot of pirate jokes about him; youngest says he's the best 3-legged rabbit in the world (I cant think there are many... :lol: )

so happy that he's pulling through, and again thanks to everyone for your support.

8) that he is on fibreplex. He may have advised that the metacam went in food as it can cause digestive issues and if he wasn't eating it may cause a problem but as he is eating well though it should be fine to syringe it down him. Try to make sure it isn't given on an empty stomach though :)

went back to the vets in town today for a check (35 mins away instead of local branch, 10 mins).

I am sure we could have gone to the local one, but the lovely vet wanted to see his handiwork! and was very pleased with it, we had a great chat - he was saying how much satisfaction he and the nurse who did the op get, because it was a very difficult op (major trauma, buns difficult to anaesthetise, very small veins etc) and to see Arthur doing so well is very rewarding for them. I will get dd to write a nice thank you letter, and drop it in with a box of chocs or something for all the staff (even the receptionist wanted to see him when I arrived "oh is that the 3 legged bunny? let me see!")

I've been going to this practice for 12 years, and would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone in my bit of Kent looking for a good vets... they even have a couple of chicken experts! :D

just wanted to let everyone know: Arthur is back in his hutch and run with Ruby, and they are delighted to be back together (we used to carry his sick bay cage out so they could touch noses through the bars!).

his fur is growing back over his stump, which has healed beautifully.

he can go as fast as ever in a straight(ish) line; cornering is bit more erratic depending on whether he is turning right or left; if left he can forget about the lack of leg and topple slightly but it doesnt bother him. he has no problem 'standing up' if he thinks something nice is being offered, and has learnt to balance so he can wash his face with both paws (bless him).

thank you again everyone for kind words, and Chucky Mama for advice via PM.