madchickenlady

3 year old pekin lost weight, green watery poo *Sad Update*

Not sure what is wrong with Doris :? She seems to have little appetite, and when I noticed she was a bit quiet last week I realised she'd lost weight. I immediately put flubenvet in the hens feed, and ACV in the water ( they were due to be wormed). We've been away for the weekend, and when I went out just now to check on the birds I found that Doris had watery green poo, and her bum feathers were dirty. So I bathed her, and her breastbone is like a razor :( She has no respiratory symptoms, eye bubbling, gasping etc at all. I can't see any sign of worms in any of the birds droppings. She is still dust bathing etc, but shows no interest in treats (and she's usually the greediest hen in the flock). Tbh, I am preparing for the worst, but can anyone shed any light on what might be wrong with her?

Thanks. I suspect that she will pass away tonight, as she's taken a sudden turn for the worse :( She has a very swollen tummy, the skin feels like that on a drum, and she's now breathing noisily. She has taken herself off in to the garage to a quiet corner, so I've made her comfortable and syringed some water in to her and she is now sleeping. We will be heading to the vet first thing if she makes it through the night.

I've only just read your thread and was going to reply with some advise but alas too late. I'm so sorry to hear about Doris passing.

It does sound like she may have had Peritonitis but it may also have been liver failure. They tender to get really green runny poo, lose weight and dont eat. Liver failure makes them feel really sick so they dont want to eat. They often feel very thin in the breast but feel weighty to lift-due to a build up of fluid. I know this info wont help your little girl now but I hope its useful info for future reference.

I know how you feel as I lost my Sapphire 2 weeks ago with just these symptoms.

Blessings

Madchick :(