austele_1

Cockeral spur removal...

I apologise if this post is in the wrong place as I'm not very good on forums. :?

I have a 2 year old cockeral who's spurs are starting to become a nuisance for him. There getting very long and it's never really affected him before but it now looks like he can't walk like he used to. Anyway to cut a long story short I was wondering how would be the best way to go about removing them... I don't want to cut them as I don't feel confident enough to do that and I'm worried about hurting him. I found this article - http://www.fowlvisions.com/?p=39 and it suggests a hot baked potato?

I was just wondering if this was effective, if it hurt the bird and basically any tips. Thank you for all help!

:D

I'd much prefer a vet but the trouble is I live in the middle of nowhere and my nearest vet is quite a distance away, I would also prefer a vet to make a home call rather than trying to get Dylan away from the girls and to the vets. Spurs are so confussing! :shock: Might just have to stick to the old nail file!

Are you going to make a pair of earrings out of them? :wink:

Haha, I was actually going to keep them as a momento. A pair of earrings would do nicely, maybe I shall attempt the baked potato optionb but let the potatoes cool a little. Read a thousand comments online about how easy it is and if I go in prepared...