beckyfitz

Got careless & now lost my two duckies :-(

Lost both my poor duckies last night to a fox attack :cry:

They live in a wooden house inside a walk-in run shared by my 4 hens in their Eglu.

It is fairly reasonably secure run for daytime, but usually I shut them in their houses at night so I know they're secure.

Once or twice if we have been away I have left them free in the run, the chickens take themselves to bed but as you know ducks often like to sleep in the open.

So occasionally I have lapsed and not shut them in their houses - last night first time in a while, tired, late night, in bed before I remebered & thought, 'Theyll be Ok'.

This morning one dead in the house, one just the other side of the run fence, chickens totally unscathed. Think they must have attacked through the flexible fence, Harry managed to get away & into the house where she died from her injuries, and Hip-Hop was dragged under the fence. I'm pretty sure the fox didn't get into the run or my chickens would be gone too.

I always knew the run wasn't totally fox-proof which was why I religiously shut them in every night for over a year.

I feel so bad that I left them unprotected, my own stupid laziness & carelessness :x

Lesson learned the hard way.

I think it must be the time of year as they were fine all Summer- we just lost our two chickens (!!) in their run last night to a fox. Our kids are distraught as you can imagine- the run was closed but he dug under and we didn't have their 'house' closed up. We shoudl send a warning to all chicken keepers to beware this time of year.