dance in the dark Posted January 2, 2012 Share Posted January 2, 2012 Ok, so as I have mentioned on this forum before I have, among my other girls, three cream legbars, who were born around last June and as such, did not come into lay before the end of summer. this was fine because I was never really expecting them too, but I was just out in the garden with my girls and one of my legbars, Hannah, was getting very stroppy, and, despite there being three nest boxes to choose from, started bullying one of my hybrid hens off the nest in the eglu (Hannah doesn't actually sleep in that elgu, but perhaps she made herself a birthing plan in, and chose that spot). Anyway, after much squawking and carrying on, she got back off the nest, to reveal her first egg!!! It is and beautiful, she hasn't had and softies or anything, just this one perfect, decent sized, egg. I have never had pure breed before and wasn't really expecting them to come into lay for another couple of months, I was wondering if perhaps the unseasonably warm weather has got her going? Either way I don't care, I am a very proud parent! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted January 2, 2012 Share Posted January 2, 2012 Oh you lucky, lucky thing!!! Well done, Hannah (can you please send a telepathic message to my Fogherty to let her know it's ok to follow your lead?) Don't know if it is the mild weather; recently I read somewhere that chooks can come back into lay after a winter break 10 days after the winter solstice (which means from yesterday) Whatever did the trick, I'm delighted for you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted January 2, 2012 Share Posted January 2, 2012 and a word to my Aracana's hatched in April but not as yet laid would be great Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted January 2, 2012 Share Posted January 2, 2012 Congratulations, green eggs are just a bit extra special . I miss mine . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted January 2, 2012 Share Posted January 2, 2012 How eggciting (sorry couldn't resist). Yes a liccle word in this direction wouldn't go amiss either but with saying that I had 1 egg today so can't complain too much Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BizzyMomma Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Oh Bless her!!! Would love to have a legbar and get the coloured eggs too, better start working on my hubby I suppose?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...