Surfnirvana

52 Jars of honey finally extracted on NY day!

I bought my huband a metal uncapping tray for Christmas which he was thrilled with :D . On New Year's day we finally managed to extract the honey from our supers we took off in May last year! There is so much rape around us that it chrystalised very quickly in the frames and we weren't quick enough to spin it off.

With this uncapping tray we just poured hot water in the bottom section, plugged it in to heat the water up even more and then uncapped and cut out the wax combes from the wooden frames and placed it all on the tray. It all melts - wax & honey - and then it pours out of a hole at the end into a waiting bucket.

The wax floats to the top which we took off in one go when it had all cooled down. Our local apiary will buy the wax back from us too which is great! So, after sieving the honey, we were delighted with 52 jars of the golden stuff!! :clap: It is our second year of beekeeping and now have 2 hives. Fingers crossed we will get a bumper crop this year!

Well done! - a lovely New Year present.

I had to put some of our combs over hot water this year - I put a few frames into the 'big solar extractor' (aka the conservatory!) and forgot them! :? I only wanted to warm them slightly so that I could put them in the extractor and extract in the normal way but we had a mass of half melted wax and honey mix. Once it was all properly melted it was much easier to deal with. It would be easier with the right equipment though :mrgreen:

Hi Olly

The heat extracter is like a large metal oblong box with a slanting shelf in it. You poor hot water into the bottom section of the box, then on the shelf you place the cut out, uncapped, full Combes. The water & Combes don't mix at all. The heat from the water below, heats the metal shelf above which in turn slowly & gently melts the Combes & honey together .

The liquid (honey & wax only) then drains through a hole into a waiting bucket. The wax floats to the top and when it cools down it hardens and can be taken off the top of the honey.

The up side is that you can extract honey that has been crystallised or set, but the down side is that you can't use the wax foundation s again as they have been melted. We really enjoyed doing it, and are delighted with the results. We got our extracter from Maisemore Apiaries in Gloucestershire - they have a great website www.bees-online.co.uk. We are really lucky to live about a mile away from them - they have been very helpful with advice over the past few years! :D

I have often looked at these uncapping trays in the catalogues and wondered about their use.

Doesn't heating honey up to the melting point of wax (62˚C ) spoil the taste entirely?

Heating over 37˚ certainly denatures most protein components and reduces the so called health benefits of honey.

I once heated some wet cappings very very gently in a low oven at less than 70˚ to get some show wax. I tried the honey and it was entirely different from the unheated product, very sweet but little floral aroma and fruitiness; infact, just like the pasteurised stuff you get in the supermarkets.

I think you make a fair point.

In ideal circumstances we would have taken the supers off and spun them as soon as possible. Unfortunately we left the frames too long (only 10 days) and they had already chrstalised! We are very close to many rape fields.

This meant heating was the only way we were able to extract the honey. The taste is lovely - no complaints there, but heating does remove some of the raw floral flavours, but to us this is barely noticeable and are just so delighted we now have that liquid gold in jars!! :D