abwsco

The pram minefield

I can help with the car seat - we are buying the Maxi Cosi Opal which goes from birth to four years - changing from rear to front facing when baby is ready but allowing rear facing for much longer than a lot of other seats. Don't go anywhere near Mothercare as they charge £60 more than anyone else (our friend had them fit the seat for her, said thanks and then went immediately to John Lewis!) We have borrowed a seat from a friend at the moment (saving a bit of money for now) but will be getting ours as soon as possible.

'Victoria Slinglady' on ebay is cheapest for slings - we have a vintage Marmet pram for walks and shopping (does not go in the car) but the sling for anything else as it's easier when out and about. We might get a lightweight buggy later but I find them annoying, heavy and prone to tipping over.

Yep they are - well they are closing most of their stores and I think are going to be more of an online place. They'll have to buck their ideas up though as their prices are high and customer service is appalling. Our 'problem' is that we've been given loads of vouchers as generous baby gifts and the store has NOTHING that we want!!

Using a wrap style sling is safer than a 'crotch dangler' (like a Baby Bjorn) as the baby's weight is distributed properly and the baby is as close to your body as it is possible to be. Christopher loves his and sleeps soundly, babies cry much less when they have body contact.

We must be lucky with our local Mothercare store!

There was literally only one car seat on the market that fitted our car, and they helped us find it. A badly fitting car seat is afterall useless! Found lots of lovely seats, doing all different things - but didn't fit the car so pointless looking at them. What we do when DD grows out of this one I'm not sure... Buy a new car I guess!

And yes, H was indeed the store.... Scary the service we got from there!

Yep they are - well they are closing most of their stores and I think are going to be more of an online place. They'll have to buck their ideas up though as their prices are high and customer service is appalling. Our 'problem' is that we've been given loads of vouchers as generous baby gifts and the store has NOTHING that we want!!

Using a wrap style sling is safer than a 'crotch dangler' (like a Baby Bjorn) as the baby's weight is distributed properly and the baby is as close to your body as it is possible to be. Christopher loves his and sleeps soundly, babies cry much less when they have body contact.

Whoopsie, that's not good about the vouchers for you :( I also didn't realise they were so much dearer than elsewhere as had a quick look online and the prices seemed round about the same as elsewhere on the things we looked at.

Thanks for the sling recommendation as well. My DD's are now 21 and nearly 20 but as I say I had a silly fear of falling over and squashing baby. DD might not.

There is a vast difference in slings - i've done quite a bit of research into the different types and gone for the simplest one so far (basically a long strip of fabric which can be tied in different ways). I don't feel my balance is 'off' with the wrap but have done with others - as you may have done. It's easier to take the stairs rather than constantly look for a lift too!

I wonder if some of the larger mothercare stores will stay open, some of the smaller high street ones have already gone. You really do have to be careful with their prices though. I bought a box of breast pads for £3.99 and ASDA do them for £2!

I'll have the vouchers ;) I love quite a lot of their clothes - can you not just buy a bunch of plain white vests in all different sizes? They do quite a lot of baby basics which are reasonably priced.

I have a variety of slings. My husband really liked his Bjorn when our kids were teeny, so although it's not ideal for babies, it can be the best way to get men babywearing, and better than no babywearing. My preference for a newborn is a moby wrap (although I made my own from some jersey as I am a cheapskate) or another stretchy wrap. Once they get a bit bigger, we tend to move onto soft structured carriers, like Mei Tais, but with buckles. I prefer my Connecta, but OH carries two and a half year old Imogen regularly in a Beco Butterfly. We quite often go for a tramp in Epping Forest with both kids in carriers. Mog weighs 30lbs and Teddy weighs 24lb.

When I had one baby and she was still small, I only really used the pushchair for shopping, but once she hit about ten months I used it more and more, and once we had two, it was pushchair or nothing if I was on my own, as Imogen is a late and anarchic walker. They're only eighteen months apart, so they'll both be using the pushchair for a while yet.