HappyhenSG Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 I brought one of my ex-bats indoors yesterday afternoon after noticing her breathing seemed quite laboured. She is not coughing, sneezing or gaping. Her comb is red. She is eating and drinking ok too. She seems worse when sitting in her nest box. I have some Baytril left over from one of the others back in November and a little Metacam from September- Is it worth trying these or are they too old? I'd rather try something at home first before taking her on a 15+ mile round trip to the vet. Any suggestions gratefully received. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 It isn't a good idea to treat a hen with left over antibiotics as they may be inappropriate. In fact, strictly speaking, they should not be administered without the say so of a vet. You say she seems worse when sitting down. How does her abdomen feel? Is it swollen and 'tight'? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HappyhenSG Posted February 12, 2012 Author Share Posted February 12, 2012 Ok, will hold off on the a/b's for now. She's not keen on being handled but I just checked and yes, she does look and feel a bit swollen. Do you think it might be peritonitis? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 It does sound like it. They are often more breathless when sitting as the fluid limits the space internally. Sounds like a trip to the vet is on the cards. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HappyhenSG Posted February 12, 2012 Author Share Posted February 12, 2012 Thank you - I'll give them a call tomorrow. I told OH he was tempting fate the other day when he said we hadn't had a chicken indoors for a while Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HappyhenSG Posted February 14, 2012 Author Share Posted February 14, 2012 Took Lilly to the vet's today. As we suspected, she does have sterile peritonitis and has been given a short course of Metacam and Noroclav(a/b's). He was all for PTS but I said whilst she is bright, happy, and eating and drinking normally, then she deserves every chance. Glad she is back home with me, albeit my purse is now £80 lighter Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 14, 2012 Share Posted February 14, 2012 I hope she continues to improve. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted February 15, 2012 Share Posted February 15, 2012 Little hen rescue and I have had good results with same treatment. Just a word on the Noroclav... It is soo soo strong strips guts of everything. One vet suggests probiotics and lots and lots. And if you want to follow others suggestions, the good thing about it it is not in the water and if you want can give probiotic 2 hours after and not 2 hours before second one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HappyhenSG Posted March 16, 2012 Author Share Posted March 16, 2012 Lily passed away in my arms this evening. She had been on Metacam for a month for peritonitis and had been looking much better, even up until this morning. However, when I went to put the girls away this evening, I noticed her breathing was rasping so brought her in immediately. I held her on my lap and within 5 minutes she had gone RIP Lily Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted March 16, 2012 Share Posted March 16, 2012 So sorry, you did your best for her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted March 16, 2012 Share Posted March 16, 2012 I am so sorry to hear you lost her, but you did all you could and she had that extra month. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...