TAJ

BT Infinity

Has anyone got this as yet? - it is the faster BT broadband through fibre optic cables. It is fibre optic to the green telephone box, then your normal phone wires from there to your house. It has just come in near us - I rang up BT today and it will be £3 a month cheaper than we currently pay them for the slower service per month and the set up/equipment is free (engineer to fit new socket, modem & home hub, plus sets up 1 computer as part of the deal).

So what's the catch? Getting more for less has me confused! I have signed up for it and it should be fitted next week, but surely there must be a negative to it?

Tracy

We have it. I think it's a yearly contract. The service has been excellent, its covers the phone rental, has an excellent broadband speed and very nice engineers come round to update modems and whatever to keep up with technology. We have McAfee security included.

That's as technical as I can be but basically we've had no issues at all.

Yes - it is too good to be true!! Would you like a morning or afternoon appointment the engineer will take up to 3 hours? am apparently 8am-1pm - it is now 1.45, no sign of an engineer - after 18 minutes on the phone to an Indian call centre (how bizzare that a man in India finds out where the engineer is - he had to call a UK control centre to find out whilst I held on!).

So no engineer (as yet) I was told he got held up on a job this morning. When I said fine, but it would be nice if someone told me! they agreed! ..so now they say he will be here 'today', hopefully before 6pm! Considering I have a doctors appointment at 5.30pm and it is a 3 hour job, if he doesn't arrive in the next 30 mins it will be a problem.

So yes it is too good to be true - why ask if you want a morning oe afternoon appointment in the first place!!

Tracy

Just to add an engineer has been - it took 30mins, not 3 hours, but he did say some can take up to 5 hours! The guy that came had been rung to say a morning job hadn't been picked up could he do it next, so lucky I rang, others it wouldn't have been done. As to speed, on the speedtest.net website the rating has gone from 21% (D-) to 79% (B) download is at 37mbps and upload 1.6mbps

The ads looks quite convincing and BT are currently bombarding me with letters and e-mails asking me to switch to them. I'm reluctant to do so as we had them as our supplier a few years ago and our internet speed was terrible and we were paying an awful lot for it as further insult. It came to a head when I was trying to watch an episode of Eastenders on I-player and I just kept getting that annoying circle symbol that goes round while you have no connection (so technical I know :oops: ) so we rang there and then and switched to O2 and got a much better connection for about half the price.

As I say, that was a few years ago so they may well have improved considerably - I hope so or they are going to have a lot of disappointed customers.