LolaLayla

Seeds - open packets

I have got some vegetable seeds from last year that are in opened packets that have been kept folded over in a kitchen cupboard. Does anyone know which seeds should be ok to attempt to grow this year and which would be a waste of time :?: I seem to remember reading that some were ok and some not.

I've heard the same about carrot and pumpkin seeds, but last year used an old pack for carrots and was okay.

I did read something in Grow your own mag this month that a good way to test them is to soak some kitchen roll, squeeze out a bit and lay flat, spread some seeds one one half, fold the other half over and press down around the seeds. Put in a plastic bag and put in the airing cupboard and keep checking to see if they germinate.

parsnips need to be fresh. carrot usally is ok pumpkin/squash seeds I've used at least 3 years old same with tomatoes

peas and beans have quite a long shelf life. brassicas depends on which they are but I usally buy every other year but that getting harder as the contents get less every year

I have got some vegetable seeds from last year that are in opened packets that have been kept folded over in a kitchen cupboard. Does anyone know which seeds should be ok to attempt to grow this year and which would be a waste of time :?: I seem to remember reading that some were ok and some not.

No definitive answer, but, logic says to me: folded over, kitchen cupboard dark? = maybe ok.

Pragmatic answer says to me: what do you have to lose by trying??? (which I would do :wink: )

However, word of caution: my philosophy regarding gardening is twofold: it will either grow, or it won't. :talk2hand: Most times, I take the risk but never mourn if it doesn't "work" - I just take notes :wink:

Gardening, like life, is a life-long learning process. Some winters, things will survive; other winters, they do not. Some seasons completely throw caution to the wind and we end up on a wing and a prayer (like this winter!).

Bottom line is: do not throw them away; give them a chance, and chance what they decide to do :wink: