AndreaT

Thoughts on this house/run please.

So I am still looking for a new run! I very nearly ordered the Omlet WIR yesterday but I just couldn't press the purchase button, I was getting palpitations :shock:

I have just found http://www.gardenwoodcraft.co.uk/chicken_coops/chicken_coop_ch06.htm. They will deliver and build in Scotland which is a bonus and make the run any size. It would be about £100 extra to make it 2m wide.

How many do you think I could fit in the run if I didn't make it wider? It is for my araucana and I like to get her a friend (maybe an orpington or 2).

So I am still looking for a new run! I very nearly ordered the Omlet WIR yesterday but I just couldn't press the purchase button, I was getting palpitations :shock:

I have just found http://www.gardenwoodcraft.co.uk/chicken_coops/chicken_coop_ch06.htm. They will deliver and build in Scotland which is a bonus and make the run any size. It would be about £100 extra to make it 2m wide.

How many do you think I could fit in the run if I didn't make it wider? It is for my araucana and I like to get her a friend (maybe an orpington or 2).

Go for a second hand (cube green):D

Thanks all.

Looks nice but the thing that would put me off would be the maintenance of the wood long-term. The Omlet one looks like it would never need a thing done to it!
They will tanalise it for not much extra, so it wouldn't need maintaining too often.

They will free range sometimes but they often have to stay in for 3 or 4 days without it, so I really want something I don't feel guilty about leaving them in. I thought if I made it 2 m wide it would't be that much smaller than the Omlet.

Go for a second hand (cube green):D

I already have a (cube purple) and a !gored! I can't afford another, besides they're like hens teeth up here! :lol: (sorry! :oops: ) After having back surgery last year I need a WIR, don't think I'd manage a cube run very well.

I keep going back to this http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/10/productid/2137 but I'm not sure how I would cover the flat roof. How would I make it so that the water ran off?

Arrgh, it's too complicated! :wall:

You could make a removeable corrugated plastic roof by fixing the panels to a thicker baton at one end and a very thin one at the other? No idea what I'm talking about, really, just thinking about the type of roof I have and how you could adapt it :lol: .

I was thinking along the same lines as that's how my other run's roof is done but I couldn't figure out how I would attach the batons. Just reading your post I had a flash of inspiration :idea: I could use tie wraps?!!

Just had a look at the wooden house & run. I cant help thinking that it's a bit small for your araucana. I know they're not all alike but I know that mine hates being confined & can exhibit quite naughty behaviour if cooped up.Is there perhaps a local joiner who could make something to your spec. Perhaps then a second hand (green eglu) would be a possibility. Just random thoughts. Alli x

Thanks all, I think I have finally made a decision! I am going to get the cheaper metal run and roof it using sheeting, tie wraps and batons. :clap: I'm also on the look out for a second hand (green eglu) . (Thought I'd found one but like all good deals it's already sold!) The cost of the two will be less than the Omlet WIR :D My !gored! will then become the hospital/integration wing it was supposed to be!

Just had a look at the wooden house & run. I cant help thinking that it's a bit small for your araucana. I know they're not all alike but I know that mine hates being confined & can exhibit quite naughty behaviour if cooped up. Alli x

Fizz is in the standard !gored! run at the moment and doesn't seem that bothered to be honest (a new run is more for my benefit than hers really) but I don't think she's all quite there in the brains department. She launched herself out of my arms yesterday, which is not very clever as she only has the use of one wing! Needless to say she went down like a brick and landed nearly upside down :shock: Luckily she didn't hurt herself but I don't know who was more shocked, me or her!