Gertie

Weeds, brambles, ivy...how can I control them?

Hi Everyone

Help needed from expert gardeners! My new garden has some enormous patches of brambles, ivy everywhere, & weeds rapidly covering patios & driveways.

Does anyone have any advice on tacking these problems in larger areas. I'm limited on time (evenings & weekends). I also don't think I can hire a gardener :(

Is there anything that I can use to suppress weeds on pathways.

What would happen if I used a brush cutter on the brambles?

Is there a way to kill weeds without chemicals?

I know I'm going to have to do some digging...!

Thanks!

I am not keen on weedkillers, especially since I got chickens, but sometimes there is no option!

Firstly, you could use a brush cutter if the bramble is really huge patches, but you will still need to dig the roots out, and bear in mind that bramble is evil stuff - it will root from the tiniest bit, so although you may be reducing it to manageable proportions, and it is necessary if you have a real jungle, you're also inviting it to start all over again. I'd only do this if you are going to be able to clear the ground completely, or if you can cover the ground (black plastic, or old carpet) for a few months. This is worth doing on, say, an allotment, but it may not work for a garden.

I use glyphosate on weeds - I believe it's not as damaging to the environment as some other weedkillers. That will probably work on the ivy, although it will need several applications, and you'll still need to find the roots and dig them out. It will also work on bramble, but again you need to do it regularly. I fight a constant losing battle with the darn stuff, get some heavy duty gloves to protect your hands.

Weeds on paths can be sprayed with glyphosate, or you could burn them off or possibly pressure-wash them off, although be warned - a pressure washer will also remove any grout or filling between your slabs.

I'd break it down into sections - tackle, say, the patio so you have got somewhere to sit and relax, section off a bit of bramble and blitz it, and work your way round gradually. Of course, the other thing you could do is fence off a bit and put chickens in it - not sure they can cope with bramble, but they will soon clear up other weeds, turn over the ground nicely and fertilise it as well!

Thanks for the info.

Wow, I never heard of a flame thrower for weeds. Is it expensive?

The previous occupants left a huge weedkiller pressure sprayer. Does using weed killer harm wildlife? Are some types better/less toxic than others?

Many thanks

Weedkillers are toxic to wildlife, particularly insect life, although this may be as much to do with destroying the food source as the chemicals. However, I have to say on this one I would tend to agree with Olly despite the fact I keep bees (as she does :D ) and my garden is host to a huge variety of wildlife from insects to deer. My take is that a one-off blitz is less harmful than constant use of pesticides - which I don't use at all. Also I know just how hard it is to get rid of some invasive plants and my physical ability to battle with these things is diminishing as I get older :lol:

I would use glyphosate on the brambles as they are really hard to get rid of and it is a very effective weedkiller. They are tenacious and deep rooted, and if you do nothing your house will disappear - they rampage :shock: You can cut them down with a brushcutter or similar but you would have to dig the roots out which is really hard work as they are such strong growers. Choose a day with no wind so the spray doesn't travel (in fact I'd only use a big knapsack type sprayer if I had a really large area to cover because of this danger, otherwise I'd use something much smaller), and with no rain forecast - you don't want it being washed away as it won't work. This time of year is perfect as it travels down the stems and into the roots and kills the plant off from there. Right now it will be dealing with young, shorter, softer and sappier growth and will be more effective. You may have to treat more than once - it will take weeks to be effective. A last application in the autumn is a good idea as well.

I haven't had to deal with ivy so I'm not sure how difficult that is to eradicate.

With your weeds - you need to identify what they are. If they are annuals then I would probably handweed or possibly use a flamegun if it was a huge area (and safe :lol: ). If they are perennials, it depends what type - there are 3 really bad invasive ones which are hard to get rid of - bindweed, couch grass and marestail and I would use glyphosate on all - perhaps the spot-on variety if the area isn't too big as you can control its application more easily and will be less likely to experience drift. For the rest, I'd use a mix of mowing down/handweeding/digging out the roots (eg nettles, which are best done this time of year) or just leave them be - some 'weeds' are excellent for attracting pollinating insect life.

Thanks for the info.

Wow, I never heard of a flame thrower for weeds. Is it expensive?

The previous occupants left a huge weedkiller pressure sprayer. Does using weed killer harm wildlife? Are some types better/less toxic than others?

Many thanks

THE ALDI ONE isn't,if you can still get one (they were on offer a week or so ago)

We had dreadful brambles here & still get them now & again,& our flame weed killer sorts them.

its not this one - we have had ours for years - but along similar lines.

Thank you all so much for the very comprehensive information. I really appreciate it.

It's a tough call deciding whether to use chemicals, as I really don't like doing it either. However, we will be swamped by brambles & weeds if we don't. Your info has really helped me to choose an effective product and hopefully maximise impact on weeds & minimise it on the environment.

I have already been out chopping brambles all afternoon! I have a nice scratch on my nose and a huge bonfire waiting to happen. When the brambles start to regrow I will do the spot on. The area was about 10 metres by 4 metres. The brambles go right up into the apple trees, I couldn't get it out but have cut them off at the base.

Great find though, amongst the brambles were 5 gooseberry bushes & loads of raspberry canes. Can I use the glyphosate directly on the brambles even though they are amongst fruit bushes?

I would love to borrow the goats...seriously! In a few weeks we are getting one of the fields fenced so we can get some. We have a delapidated stable which needs tlc but then we'll be set up.

If you plan to use glyphosate on plants that are close to fruit bushes, I would cover the fruit bushes with a plastic bag (heavy duty garden bin bags are good) because it is a VERY effective weedkiller... wait until it is totally dry before removing the plastic. I use the top half of a plastic pop bottle over small weeds and spray into that to prevent drift onto nearby plants, it works well but is probably too small for your brambles!

Just a note, glyphosate works best on actively growing plants and on green tissue (it inhibits photosynthesis) so with brambles I cut them down, wait for them to sprout fresh new leaves and then zap them with the glyphosate. Easier than trying to cover a large plant.

It is the only chemical I allow in my garden, and we have loads of wildlife, because it is so non-toxic - it is less toxic than salt, and loses its activity as soon as it hits soil, so there are no residues left after use. However some studies suggest it is poisonous to amphibians, so do keep it well away from any ponds you have, or areas where frogs or toads hibernate.

Thanks very much for the tips.

I read the ingredients on the roundup and it says glyphosate, so im thinking that's the one that's ok? I went to the garden centre but couldn't find a specific product called glyphosate only products with it in.

I'm going to keep on cutting and digging first. Also I'm going to invest in the flamethrower for paths. I think I'll need the weed killer for the driveway because it's growing grass all over it.

Another thing I'm thinking - should I keep my cats in when I do it. There's no way I could guarantee they wouldnt go on the area. Would that be just until it dries or for a few days?

Thanks again