Jonathan G

Just how loud are Quail cocks?

Japanese quail cockerels are still quite loud and can get annoying!

Its a different noise to a cockerel, more of a chirrup that sounds like a frog :lol: Bit more like a wild bird noise so you may get away with it...

Can I ask why you want to get a male?

If its for breeding fair enough but otherwise they can be a pain with aggression/chasing the girls so make sure you have a high ratio of females, 1:3 minimum but 1:5 or 6 would be good.

Quite loud! I dread this time as my male quail always crows at 4am (think I posted my insomnia problems last year). Seriously.. don't get a male unless you want fertilised eggs! I didn't know what I was getting in for when I bought my male but I love him now so the lack of sleep I have to tolerate.

Thankfully my neighbours doesn't know what the sound is, they just think its a crow with a sore throat :lol:

The whole reason for this post was because I didn't want a cock but have read loads and all you read about is the number of cocks to hens. I don't want to breed so don't need a cockerel for that but was being led to believe you need so many whatever. Other than for breeding is there any advantage in having cockerels? I for one certainly don't need the noise.

When I bought my cock I had to drive 3 hours to get more females for him! No seller would sell females unless I bought another male (Can you see now how ppl desperately want to get rid of their cocks!). Thankfully I pleaded and told her of my sob story of being a novice quail owner that she allowed me to have 2 females WITHOUT another boy!

I heard breeder often sell cocks for meat (feed other birds like hawks/eagles) as they don't know what to do with them.

I would love to incubate my quail eggs but I fear for male quails!! :shock:

I have 52 quail eggs about to go in the incubator - I can deal with males by dispatching, for meat or have a friend who is a gamekeeper so can take them.

Its sad but as they're so aggressive there isn't much chance of homing them all so sadly some will have a happy but short life.

Was at an auction with a friend a couple weeks ago and there was a lot of just 3 male quail in together.

Cotswold Chickens only sell female Japanese + Italian quail :D

Is the reduction in cholesterol really worthwhile? Can't imagine the reduction in cholesterol in a quails egg would make any difference to anything.

I got 8 six week old quail last week and this week I have three eggs already! I'm very pleased with them