Chooks Aloud

Guineas and Chooks a lovely sight

Our guinea pigs have always shared the chicken run with the chooks (albeit segregated off). My chicken numbers have gradually dwindled over the years and sadly now I'm just left with the one elderly chook. She is six and a half, in good health and still laying, but I did wonder how she would cope with being the only chicken left.

I made the decision to take the segregation down and let the guinea pigs have full use of the chicken run with her - well it's been brilliant. She now struts around with the guinea pigs, watches all their antics when she's too tired to play and the other day I went out and what a lovely sight I saw; the guinea pigs were fast asleep cuddled up together and so too was Darla the chicken. I think she thinks they're her little chicks!

We got some baby chicks at Easter and because we have so many foxes, I put them in with our guinea pig to stretch their legs when they were 5 weeks old, and kept an eye on them. I know it might change when they get bigger, but for now they all still live together, even when they are in the garden they stick together, I really hope it continues. Glad to hear someone else has them together, I know it isn't usually a good idea, but ours are happy.

This gives me hope. We just got 2 rescue guinea pigs. I'm hoping to have them run loose in the garden during the day but worried a bit about the chickens with them. We do have a 1/2 acre garden though and lots of trees and shrubs so hopefully there will be lots of hiding places and plenty of room so if they don't want to see each other they don't have to.