BrightonSteve

Not sure if I'm dealing with mites or worms?

I've been trawling through all the various threads about mites and worms but I'm not quite sure what I'm dealing with.

My Sussex Light Hybrid (about a year old now) has always been a slightly erratic layer but in the last couple of weeks she's only laid twice, both times huge eggs with quite thin shells. I had wondered if it was simply because of the very low light levels due to all this rain we've been having.

Yesterday she laid a large egg but was then incredibly listless - sat hunched in the run or just disappearing into the house, which is most unlike her. She didn't even struggle when I picked her up, which she's never liked. Looking around her vent, there is no sign of lice or eggs but her skin beneath her feathers looks like it's got eczema - which I'm guessing could be a sign she is being bitten by something? The skin around her neck and under her wings appears to be fine.

I cleaned out the house (a Chicube) and run thoroughly but there was nothing to suggest mites in the house. I added extra Diotom to their dust bath and also to the house and bedding.

Both she and her sister are due to be wormed as it's six months since I last did it - but I can't imagine worms would have this effect on her skin? I've delayed starting the Flubenvet treatment as I don't want to start doing that to a chicken who seems weak and under the weather.

Thinking of buying some Frontline (which I use on my dog) and giving them both a couple of drops, to see if that stops the problem (I'm aware I need to discard the eggs for a week or so) but I'd welcome any other advice or ideas on what I should be doing. Am also giving Poultry Spice to try to give her a boost.

I think maybe its worth both worming and treating for lice as a precaution - she may have just been listless because she was a bit sore after laying a large egg! :eh: i'd give her a good dusting of lice powder or diatom if you havent got any lice powder, do under the wings, behind her neck and bum / fluffy knickers area! i'd also start the flubenvet as soon as you can, as you can then rule out worms if she's still ill when the week is up. obviously just keep a close eye on her, if she gets a lot worse (not being 'chickeny', eyes closed, comb goes pale etc) then i'd stop the treatment for her - maybe isolate her from the group - that is worse case scenario though! best of luck hope she feels better soon! :D