Diamond egg gal Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 My lovely DH has booked for us to go away for a week which was a fab surprise but my first thought was 'Whos going to look after my 3 chooks?' So I hit google and a place near to me called Barling Poultry came up to say they look after hens for holidays. I would really like to look around there before I book my girls in, but am I being unreasonable to ask? If I do go for a look is there anything in particular that I should ask or check out? Will my girls be ok going from a to a wooden coop? I'm fairly new to chicken keeping (since April) and I don't want to just leave my girls with anyone. Unfortunately asking a neighbour is not possible so this is the only option. Or I'm not sure if Im allowed to ask.......but can anyone recommend somewhere in the south essex area please? I would appriciate any advice Thanks very much Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Hiya, Can't recommend anywhere as in Wales but we take ours to a hen hotel and they go from a wooden coop and WIR at home to a plastic coop and smaller run no problem. Make sure they keep hotel hens seperate from other hens and kept in owner groups only and that the housing/runs are as fox proofed as possible. Ours offer worming while you are away for an extra cost also. I think they seem to enjoy the change of surrounding and being able to see other hens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Have you checked the Chicken Sitters section of the forum to see if there's anyone nearby who can help? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Margaret Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 My Girls go to boot camp, when we go away, infact they are just back Normally they live in Peckingham Palace, but go to Gill at Mumbles Farm, when we go away. Wooden coop, no hentertainment or treats... But they are fine, love me lots when I collect them. Gill is in Borough Green, Kent, too far away from you I know, but I am sure you Farm would be more then happy to have a look around, I certainly would want to see where my Princesses were staying, obviously they will not be spoilt rotten as these farmers seem to think they are Chickens ridiculous I know but I am sure they will be fine. Gill charges me £5.00 per hen per week and that includes everything. Hope this helps, and enjoy your holiday. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...