CatsCube

Urgent Help - Dislocated leg

My Little dutch boy has managed to find a tiny gap between the gate and wall and escaped the chicken run. And unto the jaws of next door spaniel. I just retrieved him and I was optimistic at first as he didn't appear to be bleeding from anywhere and was responsive. However when I put in the chicken house I saw him moving around and one of his legs is dragging and at the wrong angle. I picked him up and had a look and it seems like the leg is dislocated at the hock. I cant find a broken bone and his not making pain noises, the leg is moving freely in all directions. and he is hoping on the good leg. I really don't want to dispatch him unless needed. being the joint I don't know if it can be splinted? What should I do?

Okay I think I will leave him for tonight before acting as he may just die from the shock of it all still. I think the best thing for him right now is to just leave him alone in his house to try and recover without any more stress. If he makes it through the night I will act tomorrow. Im slightly concerned about vetinary costs, as being male, were not 100% sure he is going to be kept yet. It was to be one of those see how he goes senarios. I did just read something about shock causing them to go valuntarily lame? Also seen some guides on how to support the hock while healing.

It sounds like he has broken the leg or if it is dislocated it will mean that everything that keep the hock in place has been torn to bits which is as bad as a break if not worse. It is highly unlikely to return to normal function whatever he has done. After this length of time the circulation in the leg will probably be impaired as well. Chickens don't show signs of pain but if the leg is moving in all directions it will be extremely painful. Please don't leave him without at the very least taping it so that it is stable overnight. If you can't afford a vet and treatment you should despatch him now and not leave him to die or in pain all night :( A vet would be able to show you how to splint it properly so that you could do dressing changes to keep costs down if they think that it is a viable prospect.

Right well I have been and investigated to see how he is fairing and its leg is actually broken a little above the hock so I have splinted and taped it although there is limited space to work with. Also the opposite wing is broken so I have strapped the wing down to the body. I don't hold out a lot of hope for the guy as he cant move around very much now.

A broken leg and wing? In that case, to be blunt, you must either despatch him immediately or get him to a vet. As you don't old out much hope for him then leaving him overnight with two fairly serious injuries, and in pain shouldn't be an option, and goes against the Five Freedoms.

Freedom from pain, injury and disease

By preventing them from getting ill or injured and by making sure animals are diagnosed and treated rapidly if they do.

Sorry only just seen replies. Well I was all prepared to be met by a dead chicken this morning or a very immobile one needing dispatching. However he was alive and when I opened the hen house door he went hoping out at quite a speed to bomb around the garden with the others. A couple of the others however decided to have a peck at his dressings. So I decided to bring him indoors so he cant be bullied. I put food and water a box with him and he eagerly started necking all the food. This leaves me unsure of what to do. If he seemed more obviously immobile or listless/off food I would agree and dispatch him. Now Im not so sure. :think:

Personally I would get him to a vet ASAP - if the leg is broken, as you say, I think you would be well advised to get it sorted professionally. I wouldn't leave him as he is, even if he is hopping around, eating etc.

I agree with Tweety!

Good luck

x

I feel that there are 2 options. Get him to a vet or humanely despatch him. You have a bird with 2 serious injuries that will be in some pain. Chickens mask their pain very well but they do have nerves just like any other animal and he will be feeling pain. I doubt anyone would try treating their dog or cat with 2 obviously broken limbs themselves. His injuries may or may not heal and a vet will be able to give you a good indication as to how likely he is to recover.These injuries are not suitable for DIY treatment at home. Chicken's bones are not known for their ability to heal well. As they were the result of a dog attack, there is also a high risk of infection. I would strongly urge you to take prompt action this morning to prevent further suffering.

From the DEFRA site Click

If the poultry are apparently not in good health,

or if they are showing obvious signs of

behavioural alterations, the flock-keeper must

take appropriate action without delay to

establish the cause. If the immediate remedial

action taken by the flock-keeper is not effective

a veterinarian must be consulted and, if

necessary, expert advice must be sought on

other technical factors involved. Where there

are signs of recurring injuries which may be

related to the environment, these must be

investigated and rectified as soon as possible to

prevent any further damage to the birds.

Injured, sick or distressed birds must be treated

without delay and if necessary separated from

the rest of the flock in suitable accommodation

available for this purpose, or killed in

accordance with the legislation.

I have just dispatched him :( It was a hard call to make as he wasn't in obvious distress. But i figured it was too long a waiting game to play to see if the bones did repair and he may go through a painful and hard two weeks just to find at the end of it that he may still lose the use of a leg or be unable to fly. Due to his tiny size setting or pining the breaks under anesthetic was not an option.

We had a duck that was caught by a fox and surved with a broken leg. The vet  x-rayed her and told us to keep her confined and that the leg would heal on it's own which ti did.Whilst convalesing in the house (we put her in a drawer on the floor) she laid 6 eggs and hatched out 5 chicks. She lived for about another 10 years.