karencopas Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 Hi My mum usally posts forumns but i'm doing one today I am her youngest daughter at an age of 10 I love my 3 chickens: Blackberry Crumble Ginger Rogers and Lady Penelope Me, my mum and dad were just wondering if anybody would know how to match eggs to there chickens?! We have had 4 eggs, 3 the same which are slightly speckledy and one that is not , this week but are not sure how to match them up. Our hen types are: Speckledy Maran Cuvree Goldline If you know how to match the chickens with their eggs please contact me but i will stop talking now and let you reply to me! Thank you very much! From Phoebe ( Karens daughter) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs_B Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 Hello, Phoebe I love the name Blackberry Crumble! The only way I will know who will lay which egg is because of the different colours our hens will lay so I can't really give much advise on similar egg colour! Maybe you could watch to see who comes out of the nest box? x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 I agree - Blackberry Crumble is a great name! The best way to work out who's laying which egg is to watch the hens closely and open up the nest box as soon as they come out. Maybe that's something you could plan for the summer holidays? You might have to get up quite early though. I have a Maran Cuivre, and she lays quite dark brown eggs, my Speckledy lays paler eggs with freckles on. I don't know what colour eggs a Goldline lays, so I can't help you on that one! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 Ask your mum if she has any food colouring in her kitchen. Dab a little around the hens vents and the next egg from that hen should be marked. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 Hello Phoebe Cant help with eggs, just thought I'd say hello & welcome. You have a super collection of hens. I hope you enjoy looking after them and that it will be the beginning of many happy years with poultry. Enjoy Alli x. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 the goldline should lay the lightist egg as it a rhode island red light sussex based hybrid the maran cuivee should be the darkest but could lay a speckled egg every now and again I've got a coupl;e of maran crosses that lay dark eggs but evry 3 or 4 eggs lay a speckled one the speckledy will depend on which cross she is,a speckled through to a standard brown egg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted July 13, 2012 Share Posted July 13, 2012 Oh welcome to you I'm so glad you are interested in looking after your girls and knowing more about them. I only have 3 girls and I just watched in my chicken chair what seemed like for ever one day and as each one went in and out oif the nest box collecting each egg as laid. My clover lays large light brown eggs , Poppy dark brown and slightly smaller and my youngest Rosie smaller brown eggs but slightly rounder and a few freckles on the end . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karencopas Posted August 1, 2012 Author Share Posted August 1, 2012 Thank you for all of the replys and for saying you like the name Blackberry Crumble! The post will come in very handy and we shall have to watch them going in and out of the eglu Thanks Phoebe Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...