We are thinking of getting some call ducks and know that they can be noisy but have heard that the drakes can be quieter, is it possible to just keep drakes or do they need to be kept with one or more females? Would drakes on their own not fight as other male animals do? We are not bothered about having eggs we just absolutely love ducks.

The reason for call ducks as opposed to others is space. We do not have lots and as call ducks are smaller we will be able to give them a larger area compared to their size.

Thanks for your help.

Yep my call duck drake hardly makes any noise and a bachelor establishment sounds rather nice.

My call duck girl does make a loud quack noise if she is alarmed at all or if she is being bossy with he somewhat dimmer hubby, but we all rather like her funny voice. The noise is nowhere near as grating as a chicken telling the world that she has laid an egg, nor as loud as a cockerel.

We are not adverse to the noise as we have grown up with animals but as we are moving to a new house we don't want to upset the rather close neighbours straightaway! Not sure if they would appreciate the difference between the occasional noise from a startled duck compared to the regular annoyance of a proud cockerel and just don't want to push our luck. Just wish we could afford a place with no near neighbours and some land rather than a smallish garden.

I'm sure you'll soon make your garden your world and a lovely home to many critters :D

Deep down I too would love a proper sized garden, or better still an orchard where I could have geese as well as ducks and chooks and then maybe a paddock for a pair of donkeys. Still it is amazing what can be accomodated in a little space. When I first moved here everyone said I wouldn't be able to have pets, and now I have 4 dogs, 5 chooks, 1 cockerel and 2 ducks in my 20m garden and terraced house :shock:

All seem well and happy.