Mrs_B

Can a hen lay 2 eggs in a morning?

Hello everyone,

My Amber is now a frequent layer and lays dark brown eggs with speckles. I also know the Sussex lays (a light brown egg) as well as the White Star (white eggs). This morning I expected to see 2 or 3 eggs all huddled together in the nest box, but although I found three eggs, two were the same colour - one light brown (from the Sussex) and two dark brown with speckles! One is smaller and thinner and the other a shorter but a fatter egg (less speckles).

Is it possible the Amber has laid two eggs this morning? OR have I been missing one of the two which I thought weren't laying, well, laying? I sit outside and watch them and the two not laying don't really seem to be laying to me, so I am not sure. Any experiences shared will be great, thanks :)

On a side note I saw the White Star lay a softie in the dust bath outside last night. Poor girl! I thought her head was going to pop off she was straining so much! Needless to say she was bouncing around after she laid that horrid softie which was nice to see :)

x

The poor Amber hen laid 2 softies this evening, I saw her do so on the lawn, bless her :(

That would mean at least 3 eggs, possibly 4. I am hoping she stops for a few days at least!! I am worming the chickens at the moment so putting the fact she is feeling not good on having worms until after treatment, and hoping she settles back into normality when she is in the clear.

x

Thank you for your post.

It's such a worry as it makes the hens go very lethargic. My Amber was all puffed up with her eyes closed for about an hour, I was going to bring her indoors but she perked up a lot after a while.

I hope your RIR girl gets into a more sensible laying routine too! I'll keep an eye out on your posts to see how you get on :)

x

We have a total of 4 eggs today from 3 chickens, but only 2 that are laying (and 1 of those only just)!! One softie this morning, a normal egg from our black rock, a ping pong ball crazy thing later this morning and another softie in the netting which I think my poor RIR squeezed out while I was giving her drugs for her sore leg - must have been a traumatic 5 mins for her. :shock: Stood up and broken soft shell just where I had been!

Hope your girls are settling down. :)

This sort of thing happen quite often when they are settling into a regular laying pattern, you only need to worry if it continues as they mature. I have known one of my hybrids to lay two eggs in a day.

One of the girls is definitely laying 2 eggs every now and then. I am not too worried at the moment, I will wait and see how she gets on in the future! Thanks for your post :)

x

We have a total of 4 eggs today from 3 chickens, but only 2 that are laying (and 1 of those only just)!! One softie this morning, a normal egg from our black rock, a ping pong ball crazy thing later this morning and another softie in the netting which I think my poor RIR squeezed out while I was giving her drugs for her sore leg - must have been a traumatic 5 mins for her. :shock: Stood up and broken soft shell just where I had been!

Hope your girls are settling down. :)

Your poor girls!! I hope they feel better soon, it isn't nice coping with the stress :( Especially hope your RIR recovers soon :pray: x

My girls are a bit better now I have wormed them, I have never been so excited about examining poop and not finding little worms! It's improving the softies too. Fingers crossed...

x

Thought I was going mad as I had 2 eggs from my Warren in one day. The rest of my chicken ate Silkies so lay completely different eggs. 

Shes been doing this for 4 days now they are both perfect eggs. I'm a little worried its too much for her and will take a strain on her body.

Has anyone else had this happen for so long? Is there anything  I can give her or do I just let her carry on?