Sheilaz

Shellstim and other calcium supplements

Well, I've searched everywhere for someone still stocking this wonderful product, Shellstim, but to no avail.

Does anyone know anything definite?

Meanwhile, I'm mixing the crushed oystershell & grit, with water, into their food, so they all get it rather than just having it "available", giving tonic & spice, & may get some cod liver oil.

Edited by Guest

Shiela there was thread started a couple of weeks ago about Shelstim I can't find it now, but after seaching for suppliers Claret found it for sale on ebay................They have stopped selling it at SPR and most other poultry suppliers, put in a search on ebay I am sure you will find it there.....

Shiela there was thread started a couple of weeks ago about Shelstim I can't find it now, but after seaching for suppliers Claret found it for sale on ebay................They have stopped selling it at SPR and most other poultry suppliers, put in a search on ebay I am sure you will find it there.....

No, that source has dried up too, hence my post! I remembered the topic, Nicola, & Claret's reply, but the company that was on Ebay no longer has it on their stock list. Neither does Ascott's which is where I bought it before.

I can't trace it all on the internet now, which is why I started this topic! :lol:

Anyone bought some?

I have never used Shellstim.

When i visited the Domestic Fowl Trust she recommended 'Davinova C' another form of liquid calcium so i bought that instead.

It works really well and you only need a very small amount to improve the egg shell quality :D

8) That's helpful, thank you Emma.

There aren't many stockists of poultry feed around here, and even the best one didn't have anything beyond spice & tonic.

Vit.D is needed to help the body use calcium, but shouldn't be overdosed I believe. Just need some more sunshine then.

Shellstim had quite a few trace minerals I think, but that's a great help, thanks.

No, that source has dried up too, hence my post! I remembered the topic, Nicola, & Claret's reply, but the company that was on Ebay no longer has it on their stock list. Neither does Ascott's which is where I bought it before.

I can't trace it all on the internet now, which is why I started this topic! :lol:

Anyone bought some?

Sorry Sheila I thought you could still get it on ebay...........Oh well Emma's suggestion looks good.......

:) Thanks for trying anyway, Nicola, of course I could have missed it.

It does seem to be down to an alternative then.

I'll use a bit more spice for now as that has calcium, and make sure everyone has some. Then I'll look up Emma's idea.

Bit reluctant...I know I might end up with a full shopping basket once I start looking. :lol:

Thanks for the comments, Mel. Yes, I am an optomist! But it worked today. :lol:

Hi

Sheila, I've also been trying to get hold of some shellstim. I had ordered from a site called hen and horse a few weeks ago but so far nothing has arrived and no explaination given. May try and ring them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks Emma for mentioning the alternative from the Domestic Fowl Trust. Will give that a go I think as Shellstim seems to be unavailable.

More sunshine would be good. Never mind the girls and shell quality, I'm certainly in need of it. That said did have some sun over this weekend! Shame most of my weekend was spent indoors doing my ou assignment. Girls enjoyed it though!

E

Hi

No - there's no shellstim to be found anywhere. I checked out the site I ordered it from a couple of weeks ago (Horse and Hen) and it's no longer listed. Have just emailed them (didn't get round to phoning today).

Anyway, you may be interested in this site. It's mainly for caged birds (Parrots, finches and the like) but they do a product called poultry calciboost. Apparently the caclicum is a bio-available form and also includes vit D3, magnesium, sodium and potassium.

http://www.birdcare.co.uk/Fancy_Poultry/fancy_poultry.html

May be worth trying? I did a google on it and it seems a lot of poultry forums in the US mention its use.

Regards

Elaine

The only other thing I did was bake up a load of their shells (course you have to have some shells in the first place to do this :? ) then crushed them and we haven't had a soft egg since.

Might be worth a go, get your neighbours to save up any they use, cheaper too!

Mrs B

8) Thanks for that link Elaine, it sounds really useful.

Yes, I'd found Horse & Hen & seen it was no longer listed in the stock.

Good idea to chase up your order, by phone if you can. I wonder if they're closing down...? :?

I think I'll try that alternative, many thanks.

...Mrs. Bertie, that's a great tip. But, I've given them back all their shells from the eggs we eat, & I really think it's not enough for some hens. After 2 years laying it's possible they need an extra calcium/vit D. boost in an additional form. :)

Sheila - I had a very prompt response to my email to Horse and Hen re my shellstim order, after 5.30 as well! Apparently thay had emailed me about the order but I don't seem to have recieved it.

Anyway, they just say that 'no-one will supply it any more - and no-one knows the reason (or they won't say)!' so the plot thickens!

I think I am definately going to order the Calciboost today, the small size to give it a trial. I've got one girl laying thin shelled, rough textured eggs and another soft or sometimes shell-less eggs so they definately seem to need a calcium supplement. I'll report back to the forum once I've tried it.

E

I'm wondering if it is one of those licensing glitches.

Our friends at the EU have made the licensing and testing of so many things so expensive that it is simply not worth continuing manufacturing the product, as the cost of testing and licensing far outweighs any projected profits for a small business.....even if things have been used safely for years.

This was the case with Renardine, or so I was told by an agricultural supplier.

I have never used Shellstim.

When i visited the Domestic Fowl Trust she recommended 'Davinova C' another form of liquid calcium so i bought that instead.

It works really well and you only need a very small amount to improve the egg shell quality :D

Can't find it on the site Orps, any idea where to get it please :?

BBxx

try www.animalmedics.co.uk they sell it as well x

I emailed animal medics and the minimum batch size is 80 x 5L = 400L!

I asked if they knew where I could get hold of smaller quantities and the guy who emailed me back suggested I email their sales and technical director but he was out of the UK at the time. I didn't follow up as was going to try another product.

Sheila - have you had any results with the calciboost? I have to say I haven't after the 3 weeks I've been using it - still getting thin shells from Nancy. Maybe needs longer?

E

Have also been using the Calciboost for a couple of weeks and still seeing thin shelled eggs from whichever of the ex-batts is experiencing this problem. Perhaps the frequency has dropped off. But I'd be interested in the liquid calcium if anyone has found a vendor.

:) Mmmmm, I haven't been able to do a scientific study yet.

In July I had 10 hens but only 2-4 eggs a day, and evidence that at least one was laying shell less eggs & another was laying ill formed shells.

So, gave the Calciboost for a few days but then went on holiday for a fortnight, without giving Calciboost in that time. Son collected lots of eggs but I won't be able to identify who laid what & who still has a problem from those. No white shelled at all & I know my whitestar had softies before. However, they free ranged for 2 weeks & I need to search the very wet jungle for possible new nests before I assume she is not producing.

OK, in Sept. I'll do a proper observational study & conduct a rigorous experiment with reliable data. :lol:

PS. I think it has made a difference as there seem to be more good eggs & the hens look very well, but not as clear cut result as Shelstim used to be.