BrightonSteve

Introduced two new girls yesterday (with pics)

After posting last week about losing one of our two girls then asking for advice on introducing two new girls to the one remaining, we 'did the deed' yesterday and thus far, I'm pleased to report, all seems peaceful!

We took the opportunity to extend the run on their Chicube to give them all more space and bought two new hybrids - a Rhode Rock called Sheila (as in Ferguson as she's dark and glamorous) and a Goldline called Geri (as in Ginger Spice) who now join Columbian Blacktail Bette (as in Midler, as she's a redhead!)

Bette was in a temporary run on the lawn yesterday while we took her run apart and built the new one. When we picked up the new girls late afternoon I divided the temporary run and popped them in the other half. After some initial squawking from Bette, they all soon settled down and pecked around peacefully. Once I'd finished the new run and as the light was fading I popped Bette in her house, gave her time to settle then popped in the other two. There was a bit of banging about but they settled very fast. This morning Bette came barrelling out of the coop and was stopped in her tracks as she realised the run had changed and she now had to walk twice as far to get her breakfast! The other two followed shortly thereafter and soon found the food, water and grit.

All three are now scratching around - Bette is clearly in the process of putting Geri in her place by chasing her around a bit but there's no pecking or fighting. Better seems to be ignoring Sheila completely which is great.

Hopefully this quiet start will continue - Geri is clearly going to be at the bottom of the pecking order but then someone has to be!

I've added some photos of the new run and the new girls via Facebook - I hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150961074246636.402681.734576635&type=1&l=b575cb5bc0