dylan

Is this a 'lash'?

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I found it in one of the cube trays this afternoon. It feels like chicken skin and grizzle (though I haven't explored too much as it is gross!). The inside looks egg shaped and it had what looked like egg white on the inside. None of my chickens seem under the weather at the moment and all vents are clean. My vet is closed but I will take it in to him on Monday to see if he can shed any light. He is the kind of vet who will probably want to disect it too. Yuck!

IMG_5074

IMG_5075

Thanks for your replies (and for making the photos work!). I would have thought a chicken who passed a fairly large part of 'inners' like that that would be fairly ill but from what I read is that not necessarily the case? They all seem well this morning.

Gill

Just a quick update for anyone who comes across something similar. The lovely vet I have carefully disected it and it was layer after layer of egg membrane tightly compacted. It stretched out quite a way. Really interesting to see (but I didn't have the stomach to do it myself)!

Gill

Hi Dylan, when you say egg membrane do you mean the membrane which lines the inside of the egg shell and encloses the egg white?

Also what specific type is the hen/chicken which laid it, also what age, and is she still laying as normal since producing the lash?