hilda-and-evadne

Combining small colony with larger colony to survive winter

Just inspected both hives and whereas the first (older) colony appears well set up for the winter, the second colony (from a nucleus swarm this summer) definitely is not. I have been feeding the second colony but they still have almost no honey stores, and they are too few in number - I guess - to be able to keep warm when the temperature really drops.

Could I ask, please: can I just put the smaller colony brood box on top of the older colony brood box (or on top of the older brood box plus super)? Should I not do something to ensure that the queens do not meet? At the moment I cannot visualise how to do that and at the same time ensure that both queens continue to have access to stores.

Should I arrange the brood boxes and supers like this:

empty super with sugar syrup feeder

2nd colony broodbox

queen excluder

1st colony super

1st colony broodbox

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Don't forget to take the queen out of the weaker colony.

If you want to play instead pop the small colony into a nuc box, preferably poly,close the floor for warmth and bung on as big a slab of fondant as will fit

I think she fell out while I was moving the weaker colony broodbox. After I'd moved the broodbox, I noticed a small clump of bees under the stand on which the weaker hive had stood, not going anywhere, just moving around in a cluster. I was about to try to add them to the combined colony when I remembered that I didn't actually want the queen from the weaker colony so I left the clump where it was and closed up the combined colony. By the following morning, the clump of bees had disappeared.

If I had a nuc, I would have swept the clump into it. I must buy a nuc, as it is evidently a very useful thing to have as back-up.

Poly nuc boxes are very very useful.

I have three from Paynes. The integral feeder is a bit of a payne.... :) and I prefer to use the ekes you can buy and feed from on top but I wouldn't be without them. They were invaluable when I had to AS this spring in the teeth of bad weather. The colonies did much better being swarmed into a smaller box.

You can overwinter a small colony very successfully too.