Minty_76 Posted October 3, 2012 Share Posted October 3, 2012 I have a lovely purple classic with 3 m run just waiting patiently for some new occupants. My question is to all you knowledgable lot-is it a good or bad time to go chicken shopping (specifically silkie and Pekin)? I am thinking mini meadows as they are not too far and they vaccinate the birds. I am going on holiday at the end if the month so it won't be until November. Should I wait until the spring? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted October 3, 2012 Share Posted October 3, 2012 You know you want them, why wait? Oooo what about looking at the National or Federation shows in Nov and Dec, bound to be some quality birdies for sale there. Or Christmas presents, I've always hoped for a chicken as a present (still waiting, I can't drop big enough hints ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karlotta Posted October 3, 2012 Share Posted October 3, 2012 Oooh go now! I bought 4 cute 6 week old pekins last week! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted October 3, 2012 Share Posted October 3, 2012 Chicken shopping is the best sort of shopping Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted October 4, 2012 Share Posted October 4, 2012 Any time is a good time to get chickens! I have got ex-batts in November before, so I am sure Silkies and Pekins would do just fine (but you probably won't get any eggs until the spring!). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minty_76 Posted October 4, 2012 Author Share Posted October 4, 2012 Well what I might do us give mini meadows a call in November and see if they have any little silkies or pekins. If not that will be my decision made to wait until spring! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted October 4, 2012 Share Posted October 4, 2012 Yeah righto Once the disease has been diagnosed the only known cure is chooks in copious amounts. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs_B Posted October 4, 2012 Share Posted October 4, 2012 I waited months to buy my chickens and it drove me mad! A Christmas present sounds like a great idea though! Do it soooon!! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 4, 2012 Share Posted October 4, 2012 2 little chickens will have loads of room in the Eglu, are you sure you won't squeeze a few more in if you go and have a look? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minty_76 Posted October 4, 2012 Author Share Posted October 4, 2012 Oh go on then you've all been bad influences it would be rude not to! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minty_76 Posted October 6, 2012 Author Share Posted October 6, 2012 Ok, what do you all think of getting 3 hens, a silkie, a Pekin and a Poland- is that a good combination? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 6, 2012 Share Posted October 6, 2012 Those breeds should get on fine. Do you plan to integrate them with the chickens you already have? I so you may have some issues with the Poland as they can't see well and may be picked on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minty_76 Posted October 6, 2012 Author Share Posted October 6, 2012 No they will live separately. Just fancy having 3 different breeds as I can't choose just one! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 6, 2012 Share Posted October 6, 2012 I know what you mean. Both silkies and polands are often bullied so make good birds to mix with each other but a pekin should be fine too. It's more polands and birds like hybrids that are hard to mix as it seems hybrids can be prone to pecking each other more than others and a polands topknot make prove tempting! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...