Mrs_B Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 Well, we have had a cheeky visitor to our garden in the last couple of days - a male pheasant. He's very handsome but he just won't leave my girls alone! I have been keeping the girls in their runs due to illnesses and I don't fancy letting them out with a male bird hanging around as I have heard they can mount a hen Hopefully he will get bored and leave the area...but he has taken a particular fancy to my Columbine and stares at her from outside the Eglu run! The girls were screaming at him this morning when he was squawking and strutting around He also liked to let everyone know he was around first light this morning... x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 How weird, we had a handsome pheasant this time last year in our garden. He stayed all day and was the first we've ever had in our garden. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RyanR Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 Pheasant season started Oct 1st, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenthelibrarian Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 We used to call those the 'honk-honk' birds before we identified what was making the noise They have been known to get a bit stranded up on our flat garage roof where they pace about, looking very gormless indeed. For a while we had a lame partridge lurking about, clearing up under our bird-feeders. I felt sorry for it, but I guess the foxes saw to it in the end. Two suggestions: roast, with a nice bottle of wine Or maybe a quick cold squirt with the hose Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
counturchickens Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 We had 3 female pheasants in the garden today, flew off when approached them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HennyPenny59 Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 We've named our visiting Pheasant ... He is called George, it was the first name that sprung to mind Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RyanR Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 I don't like Pheasants around chickens, they are gapeworm factories. I like pheasants on a plate. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...