Lavenders_Blue

Dew Claw Drama

Sorry you are having a blip in Tango's recovery (you still did the right thing in having those pesky dew claws removed - it will all be worth it in the end!!!) I find that dissolvable stitches are anything but ... seem to know lots of people who still have to go back to have undissolved bits removed, so it might be that that's irritating Tango? Salt water works wonders on woulnds - if Tango is funny about you doing it, you could even spray it on - or even get her to stand in a bowl of salt water :D She will get there though, so don't despair!!! Keep us posted!

Thanks Bramble. We have been finding the salt water a bit tricky because Tango hates getting her feet wet :roll::lol: (Won't walk through mud either, she is such a princess). But I have discovered saline wipes from Boots which she tolerates as they are not too wet. I do object to paying out good money for saline.... but in this case, if it gets the job done I'm willing to go along with it. It all seems to be healing up again now... phew!

I'm sure salt water on kitchen roll would achieve exactly the same result. They are definitely a handy first aid item though, a box of 10 indivudually wrapped wipes. I think they were 96p and called something like 'Boots Value wound cleansing wipes'. Useful for carrying out and about for those inevitable cuts and s"Ooops, word censored!"es that more adventurous dogs seem to pick up :roll: (Or people for that matter, although I don't seem to have quite the same need to crawl around in thick undergrowth like my dog does!)

Good news - the dew claws finally seem to be healed! Hopefully that's not tempting fate to say that. :anxious:

However, as always one problem is replaced by another. :lol:

Poor Tango is really itchy at the moment. She seems to have been like this for a week or so now. It mainly seems to be round her head and neck that she is scratching. She's up to date with her flea treatments and I've washed her collar, harness and bedding. I've just taken a peek in her ears and they seem a bit pink but I don't know if dog's ears would normally be a bit pink or not? There's no wax or discharge and no odour so not sure if it could be ear related. I guess she'll have to go to the vet's if it continues but as I feel like their best customer at the moment I'd rather avoid it if possible! Any thoughts?

Her skin looks fine :? I will give her a good brush later though and see if it looks at all flaky or dry. Definitely not red at all. There's no evidence of fleas - I've checked for fleas and flea dirt and can't see any, and more importantly I've not been bitten which usually happens when there are fleas about! She was scratching for about half an hour this morning (not non stop obviously) which drove me potty! She seems to be okay at the moment, but I expect she'll start up again later...

The vet's checked her over and had a prod about in her ears. One ear looks red but there's no sign of infection or mites etc so we've got steroid cream to try and stop the itch/scratch cycle. If that doesn't work, we'll have to go back and the vet will try either oral steroids or decide if there's a middle ear infection and try antibiotics.

If she scratches her ear/s a lot then there's a worry that she might nick one; they bleed a lot and when the dog shakes its head, blood sprays all over the place :roll: one of my grandmother's used to do that if she got itchy things caught in the hair around her ears. They are very difficult to bandage and get to heal, so the poor dog spent a while with a cut off pair of tights over her head to hold the ear while it healed. :lol: